viper clutching

sx600

I know there is a lot of information on here about clutch tuning. I am not very knowledgeable in this area.

Could someone help me out with a few questions:
1) what's the difference between a clutch kit from say hauck or bender vs. changing OEM springs
2) what's the best set-up for a 2002 stock viper
3) is the torque limiter/adjuster needed or beneficial

I was thinking about getting a hauck kit for the viper...

Where is a good place to buy OEM springs and such (other than local dealers)?

In looking at Turk's clutch set-up for the viper - I decided to call Hauck tech support and ask some questions.

I asked them what the benefit of the kit was vs. just changing out the helix and spring as Turk suggests on the tech page.

They told me that the primary weights in the viper were very conservative and that the entire kit will make a big difference over just the helix and spring.

The #3 kit from Hauck contains primary spring, secondary spring, and helix.

You can buy the set-up Turk reccommends (53/43 helix + green secondary spring) from Pioneer for about $100. The #3 trail hauck kit is $175. The hauck kit will be custom built to your sled (they will give you springs and a helix they feel will fit your sled's mods).

What does anybody suggest?

What does the 53/43 helix and green secondary spring accomplish? My sled will be stock except for a ripsaw track.

The 53/43 multiangle helix and green spring combinationg will allow it to upshift faster in the bottom end and midrange, allow with a shallower cut for the top end when power/torque increase isn't as great. The viper weights are actually a very good all around weight, and most clutch kits utilize the stock weights on the vipers. Turk has found that the 53/43/green spring combo works best on the stock viper, and he knows his stuff. Personally, i wouldn't even give it a second thought, i wouldn't even be looking at the set up from hauck. Most of those clutch kits are tested on either grass or bare frozen lakes with no snow on them, and aren't optimum when the snow falls. Turks set up will be just as good or most likely better, and a lot cheaper.

Where does anybody reccommend buying the helix and spring? It seems like all the yamaha dealers have the springs - what about the helix though?

Pioneer seems to be the cheapest at $84.99 and they claim to be of similar quality to any other brand. Hauck's are $120.

Thanks for the info!

Clutch Kit

I'd spend your money on a Turk recommended setup way before Hauck. I made the mistake of getting one of their stage 4 kits when I bought my 2000 SRX from them and was very disappointed with it. I ended up making my own setup from a combination of the stock parts and their kit and it worked better. Tech support from Hauck sucks too.

I bought a helix from Pioneer last year and it was fine. You can get the green spring from any Yamaha dealer, price about the same, or order from Ronnies on the links page. I ran a Viper with a 51/43 and the green spring and it was ok. If you want more, you have to tinker with the primary weights. The torque limiters do help, though I do not have one on mine.

i have a bender kit and love it, sled pulls harder then stock. my father has an SRX, that came with a hauck kit in it, the sled was running at 9400... they were all about trial and error, and testing shit out... got the bender kit for it and the srx stays in front of my viper now

Hauck is making money from those that buy their kits, Turk doesn't make a dime from his advice. (except for maybe an occasional beer) Hauck does their testing for drag racing on track conditions. Turk has gained a wealth of knowledge in real life clutch tuning.

Turk 2, Hauck 0

That all said, every sled is different as there are so many variables involved. I would start with advice from Turk, or others on here. (There are many knowledgeable guys on here that don't often post) Then I would tune, and then tune, and then tune some more. That is the only way to get the most out of any particular sled. Be sure to write things down. Renting time on a dyno along with a good tuner is also very helpful.

Here is a question .. Has anyone purchase a Viper Trail clutching kit from Pioneer Performance? I was just wondering what they use in their kit. It lists - Primary & secondary springs, shims,tuning rivets,Multi-angle heilx,rollers and instructions in their kits for $169.95 in their 05 catalog.
I'm thinking of going with what Turk recommendation but was just wondering.

I just talked to Bruce about that kit yesterday. He seems to have the best complete kit for the best price. He told me to get the best trail performance you should get a complete kit such as his. Of course he won't give out any secrets of the kit until you order it (nor will Hauck) - such as the helix angle.

I think this kit is very similar to the hauck #5 kit which they sell for something like $225!

That's fine :) I was wondering if I'd lose top end that I currently have with the stock setup. I do know that it's a trail kit and made to perform on the trails - which is where we usually ride, but we do race every once in a while in a field near us. I don't know I just might order that kit since I haven't changed anything on the clutch since I bought it.(used) There is over 5k mile on it now.

Anybody know what stock primary weight is on the Viper ER? I am removing triple pipes and need to return clutching for stock cans. I still need to check on the helix that is installed. Anybody here interested in trading Heelclickers for stock? What's this stuff worth?

weight 8ek-17605-00 (8ek00) less 2500ft elev. 17.2 steel rivet (out) 13.9 Steel rivet in. Primary spring 90501-603l2 color y-w-y

you can use heelclickers with stock exhaust,matter of fact thats what i run in my 02. what pipes are you removing?

Benders

webbe said:
you can use heelclickers with stock exhaust,matter of fact thats what i run in my 02. what pipes are you removing?
I had Benders with the triple stingers on it. It sounded great and ran good, but I plan to sell the sled and never have any luck selling modded sleds, besides that you don't get any extra for the mods. I need to see what's installed as far as the helix and springs are concerned. Is there any way I can get the weight of the arm that I need in grams? I also need to rejet, any suggestions on that? I ride mostly in the UP.
Thanks,
David

stock yamaha arm is 39 grams no bush or rivets. stock jetting is 156.3 pilot jet is 45 pilot screw 1 7/8 turns out idle 1800 rpm all based on 0- 2500 ft of elevation.

Hu there, I came across your posting on SX Viper clutch setup and it sounds perfect.... Considering this is an older post would You still recommend this set up or have any of the wizards on here came up with something new ? My 03 Viper is stock except for reeds & 144 studs, hoping for a setup that will add acceleration, holeshot thru midrange but not take away from top end.... Considering Im more of a paint & polish guy I'd really appreciate any advice !!!

Cheers

Wow old post!! Go with mrviper700 heelclicker setup its a ripper

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Back