Question about jetting when installing new pipes

fortress

hi!!

well, i don't want to install pipes on my sled but i have a question.. When you install triples pipes on a Viper or a sxr, you need to re-jet!!! But, do you need to always re-jet in regards of the temperature?? If i go outside and its -20C, i need to open the carburator and re-jet and if tomorrow the temperature is -10C, i need to re-jet again??

The thing i don't understand is when you use the factory pipe, you have a jet setting that work for all temperature, why you cannot have a jetting setting once you change your pipes that will work at every temperature?? i really don't understand! I have and srx with 3 pipes, (like you know) and i dont need to re-jet,, So, why you would need to do that when installing a set of pipes!! (i mean, at every temperature change)

(by the way, our first winter storm today ohhhh, I'm HAPPPYY AS hell)

Ok all factory stock jetting is usually set for -20.which is fairly fat so they don't have burn down warranty claims. If you wont to be jetted bang on all the time you would still have to rejet your stock sled as the temp changed.If you where to put tripple pipes on a viper or sxr you would then jet it to be safe at certain temp and once you have done so just leave it just like a stocker.Eg.my srx came from factory jetted for
-20C+, i installed a bender cold air kit with air box mod rejetted to there specs and now im only good for -17C or 0F

Brad said:
Ok all factory stock jetting is usually set for -20.which is fairly fat so they don't have burn down warranty claims. If you wont to be jetted bang on all the time you would still have to rejet your stock sled as the temp changed.If you where to put tripple pipes on a viper or sxr you would then jet it to be safe at certain temp and once you have done so just leave it just like a stocker.Eg.my srx came from factory jetted for
-20C+, i installed a bender cold air kit with air box mod rejetted to there specs and now im only good for -17C or 0F

My sled run the with the same jet spec at 5C and at -20C!! i nevers saw someone with a stock sled re-jet as the temperature change!!

Jetting

SRXs are pretty forgiving with jetting and temp changes. When I had mine it was difficult to feel a seat of the pants difference between -20 F and + 30 F but I assure you there is a difference. To make maximum power you would need to rejet for temp changes. This is due to the fact that air density goes down with an increase in temperature. Although you may not feel a difference, you are not making maximum power at 30 F if you're jetted for -20 F. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you need to rejet all the time, I'm just pointing out that to make maximum power you would need to. Just feel fortunate you own a sled that performs well in a wide temperature range.

Last edited:
My concern was not about performance but about blowing the engine

If you dont jet properly when installing the aftermarket pipes, you can blow the engine!! Its why i'm asking if you can jet the sled with a setting that will work safe at all temperature like factory preset!! Cuz people seems to always re-jet in regards of the temperature for not blowing the engine!! Its why i'm asking if you can find one setting that will work

Jetting

Yes, you can certainly find safe jetting w/ pipes but again it's a question of sacrificing performance and mileage. My CPR piped Viper was jetted for about -20 F when I purchased it but I got about 7 mpg and it ran like a fat pig in warm temps. Safe - yes, fun - no. I dropped the mains, lowered the needles and installed smaller pilots and it was much better but then I was on the edge at anything colder than 0 F and I spent the whole day watching my EGTs. I ended up installing a Tempaflow and jetted back up for about -20 F and now it's right on all the time. Your question about "factory preset" is misleading because there really is no such thing as one jetting spec that is good at all temperatures unless you add some sort of temperature compensating device like a Tempaflow (or a manually adjustable unit like a Veriflow).

the difference...

a single piped factory tuned machine is fat to guard against warranty claims AND has a broader range of performance with "spot on" jetting"..
the more performance is at the "peak" as with pipes and especially other mods....the more any jetting (usually) ...has a narrower band

Back