82 Excel 340 clutch questions

das fisch

picked up a 1982 yamaha excel 340 which is in great shape for it's age.
engine was rebuilt less than 50 miles ago and runs top notch. one thing i'm noticing is the clutch does not engage until beyond 4000, maybe even 5000 rpm's. took a look at the belt, in good shape, deflection is more than ideal i think, about 1 3/4's or a bit more.
I have not yet picked up a manual (anyone got a good source?), but any tips on 1) adjusting tension of primary to engage at a lower rpm 2) adjusting belt tension so the belt rides at the top of the secondary, it now sits just below. definitely not equipped with the newer style of adjustment numbered plate, so i'm thinking this might be a more in depth fix.
thanks

take the primary apart and blow it out with compressed air. replace any worn or loose parts you find. sounds like it is just full of belt dust.

check the ramp sliders on the secondary. might be worn out and making the clutch stick. blow it out with compressed air as well.

worn belt

sounds like the loose belt is causing the higher engagement. the belt width should measure 1-1/4" wide. if its less all problems could be solved with installing a new belt....

measured the belt, unfortunately (or fortunately) the installed belt is just a hair under 1 1/4", and my spare is pretty much right on.
have to use the sled, so won't be pulling the secondary apart any time soon.

Back