Hey!!! The 2010's Are Out

oh, and I am with horkn, the green is not right lol!! and the apex could have dropped a few pounds, but not sure where in specific

the 800 doo and polaris have gained h.p. over the last 5 years also are lighter than before but not the apex.!!!

as for the 03 firecat that sled was never 140 h.p. stock
i think all 700 f cats dynoed at 135 the 03 was just lighter.but it had no dependability . i wrenched as an arctic cat tech. for 5 years never!!!!!!!!!again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lets get back to the 2010 r1 whats its true h.p. bike guys out there?
thats a real comparison to the apex with 150 h.p. for 5 years.

I am disappointed with minor changes for 2010 Yamaha lineup and may buy a new 2010 Polaris Rush next year. I will still keep my old 94 Vmax 600. It has had it's fair share of problems. Lost a piston ring at 4,000 miles. Secondary went at 4,200 miles and Primary went at 4,600 miles. But with new clutch from a Poalris and newer skid it is a ok sled and is paid for.

03viperguy said:
it is not 190hp. http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/09/2009-yamaha-r1-horsepower-and.html
and the bike mag I read also says about the same. who said it had 190?? and that JUST happened.

How are they rating this 180 HP in the mag and the website? That has to be at the crank, and not the wheel. Although Yamaha engineers were asked in the intro of the new R1 how much HP is lost through the rear wheel the engineer said about 5%. I know my bike is 120 hp at the rear wheel, and a true countershaft hp level is around 140 from folks with the same mods as mine that actually have been on a dyno that runs right from the countershaft.

About 5% of 180, is a little less than 10hp, so that makes sense. Then I would actually say the motor makes 190hp. the RX1 and apex was based off of the original R1 motor from 98, not any newer, more powerful ones. Those original 98 r1s make like 135-140 hp at the rear wheel on an 02 sensor run eddy current dyno.

On a sled, so much hp is lost through the clutches, and the track. I recall when the first track dyno came out, that sleds with 120 hp were only making 60 some hp at the track. Some other 600's at the time were barely making above 50 track HP.

a cedar creek rep told me the new R1 is makin like mid 180's at the wheel, this is the guy who owns an R1 and does 120 mph wheelies down free ways... i think hes stupid....

Been looking into and talking to people "in the know" and yes the new R1 does make 190 at the CRANK!!! And bikes have between 12-20% loss from crank to rear wheel.

Dont get me wrong but I think last year Ill have to pull out my 08 Dealer Service update and I think they said the 08 ZX10R was 192 or 196 at the Crank in it Ill have to find it

Bill

I think the 190 they are claiming is at the crank, but I would have to see it on a dyno to believe it personally. and horkn is totally right, track and clutches KILL the hp of a sled! friend owns a dyno company and has told me a lot about it :)

is there any reason why yamaha and kawa and even suzuki have higher hp output then honda? is honda doing this for the reliability factor? what does the zx-10 have that the cbr doesnt? does it have a more aggressive fuel mapping set up or something?

Well, Honda's are usually made for more low end torque than higher end hp.

To me that is a better compromise than all the top end power that you relatively barely use.

I do know that like back in 2004, literbikes were putting 150+ hp to the rear wheel. That was when they were rated around 165-170 hp as advertised. That would make sense. The yamaha intro on the 09 r1 on the dyno with the tech/ engineer saying 5% hp loss to the rear wheel sounded very optimistic.

Joe, think about it this way. Fox body mustangs with the 5.0 were putting like 180's the the rear wheels (stock) and those went pretty good. Those cars weighed around 3000 lbs.

So your power to weight ratio on a stang like that would be 16.7 lbs per hp.
A 450 lb bike with even 150 rwhp would be 3 lbs per hp. Most sport bikes do 0-60 in 3 seconds or so. I think even the million dollar bugatti can only do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Trust me, that CBR will be more than you need.

horkn said:
Trust me, that CBR will be more than you need.
I agree completely! you will be surprised at the power. I think the 750 gixxer seems about the right combo of power and weight. seems a shame noone makes one anymore

03viperguy said:
I agree completely! you will be surprised at the power. I think the 750 gixxer seems about the right combo of power and weight. seems a shame noone makes one anymore

You can still buy the gsxr750. It was recently revamped.

If that does not trip your trigger, the 09 triumph daytona 675 has gained a few extra HP, and is pretty similar power wise to the gsxr750. The early daytona 675 was a couple less hp than the gsxr750, but more hp and tq than a 600 inline 4. Plus it is a triple, and sounds mega cool when piped.

Last edited:
What is the 2010 Spring Check program.

A particular model??

Used to be about $500 down on a particular model.. pick it up in the fall.

no need to put $$ down on a specific model, just sign that you will be getting it in the fall. can't remember the rest of the details but it is supposed to be a much better deal than it was

katkiller said:
i went to a yamaha dealer seminar in 07 and was for sure the r1 spec. was 190 h.p.

I was at the 2010 sled display a few days ago and they had the R1 there. The sales rep told me it was 190hp bike, this may or may not be true, but thats what they are claiming...

As for the 2010 sleds, Yamaha has not changed anything really and I think they didnt for the reason that they have a great 4 stroke motor that the others are trying to beat. On the downside yamaha is pricing themselves out of the market. Their new pricelist is way up there in comparison to the 09 pricing and against the other manufactures. Alot of people are going to switch brands because of it. On the up side your yamaha machine out there now are holding good value.... Yamaha makes a great machine but who wants to 5 or 6 grand more than the competitors for the same class of machine.... Still love the yamaha sleds but price is an issue... Thought we were in a reccession...lol...

thats only in Canada though, they are about the same and in some cases more sled for less $$ here in the states. the mxz adrenaline 600 in $9699 here, thats a lot of scratch for that sled I think. yeah it gets the same mileage as my dads vector and weighs a lot less, but for me on the trails not in the ditches the vector, especially the new one with efi, is a better deal. hell, the tnt is 7999 if you get the liquid 600! they are all a lot of $$ because the tech is just getting to be a lot on any of the sleds, just like the bikes, cars, etc.

Back