new top end

djrascoe

I just finished off the new top end in my 88 phazer, Man it sounds good to hear it run!(been riding wife's 340 ovation) Anyway, I got it to fire right up, but after letting it run about 3-4 mins, it started to "pop" a little bit. Could this be because I premixed 1 1/2 gallons of gas (40:1), and I am running the oil injection. I've always been told to due this for the first few gallons of fuel after a fresh top end, to help lube the hell out of the new pistons and rings. It smokes like crazy right now, so Im thinking that is the reason she's popping a little bit. We currently don't have any snow to take it out on to see how it acts under a load. Or is there another issue I should look at? What do you guys think?????

that could be part of the reason thats whaay to much oil going into that old girl,cut it back check gap plugs,wires, carbs clean?

:wel: to TY..

the extra oil is good. you could have a plug starting to foul if its been idling for a wile. might pick up the back end and give her a couple of quick blasts. BRAP....BRAPPP..... like that

cool, thanks guys. I figure Ill probably go through a couple sets of plugs before the oil is out of the tank. as much as she smokes right now, I wont have to worry about mosquitoes for the next 3 years, lol. I'll check the plug gap again tomorrow, but I think I set it at .030. I'll also lift up her back and give her a little blow out. It's snowing right now, and they're saying about 4-6 inches by morning, so I hope I can got it out in a nice smooth field tomorrow. I'm also starting to wonder about choke cable tension. Do you think this may be a factor? I had to replace 1 plunger cap, the threads cracked on it, I think this is what caused the origional piston to burn.

make sure chokes are free and returning(free play)make shure you watch
jetting(plugs)for the first few rides.

daman said:
not 40:1 PLUS the pump.....over kill.60 70:1+ pump would be more like it,plenty

I have to add fuel in the morning. Should I just top her off and not add anymore oil to the gas? Im figuring on adding about 6 gallons to top her off. It ws 1 1/2 gall. that I mixed at 40:1

Yeah punp works excellent. Everything is set to factory specs. The sled is bone stock, except for the new pistons. It seems to run really good, except for the pop i have. I like what you were saying about it having way to much oil, I wonder if i have fouled the heck out of the plugs. Ive rode sleds for alot of years, but up untill last year I always took the to the shop for everything. Now I'm at the point where I want to learn to do it myself. So Im a little up in the air on which way to think on how its acting. lol

Like big-kid said you could have a plug starting to foul,cut that mix back
to 80:1 and dump in,to much oil will lean your mix(more oil then gas=lean mix) run that full tank out then just run off pump your good,don't baby it to
much either get on it varying the rpm's and watch jetting, stock jetting?

ok, that shouldnt be a problem. mostly ditchs available to ride unless we get atleast 6 inches, which i highly doubt we will. If we do get enough snow to ride on, I'll post and let you know the outcome. Thank you for your help

Back