Back on a YAMAHA!!!!!!

ViperTom

After 1 year on a Cat I'm back!!!! Last week I picked up Grapeape's RX-1 he had for sale and I'll finish out the riding season on that before my wife takes it over next season. After riding a 4-stroke it would be hard to go back to a 2-stroke. The torque and engine sound is very addictive!

Grapeape is a great guy to deal with. The sled is as clean or cleaner than a new sled and runs perfect.

Here are a couple of action shots of the RX and our little $100 inviter. The pilot is my younger brother from Oklahoma who came up to visit this week.....it's his first time on a sled in 20 years.

Tom

Attachments

• jeff rx1 2.jpg
    jeff rx1 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 14
  • jeff rx1 1.jpg
    jeff rx1 1.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 10
  • jeff rx1 5.jpg
    jeff rx1 5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • jeff putt put 1.jpg
    jeff putt put 1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 11
  • jeff putt put 3.jpg
    jeff putt put 3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15

Awesome, glad your back!! Hows the snow holding up in Gaylord? Doesnt look to bad from the pics!

Sno-Xr said:
Awesome, glad your back!! Hows the snow holding up in Gaylord? Doesnt look to bad from the pics!

Off trail we still have 15-18" of base with a fresh 6-8" on top. The trails are still looking decent with the exception of a few corners. We are expecting another 8-10" over the next couple of days.

If I remember right, he may have crunched the Viper S and found a great deal on a ZR 900! But dont quote me!! lol

Sno-Xr said:
If I remember right, he may have crunched the Viper S and found a great deal on a ZR 900! But dont quote me!! lol

That's pretty much it. A buddy of mine T-Boned my ViperS so I sold it and picked up an 04' ZR900 SnoPro. The AC diamond drive is a huge POS, I couldn't get the belt to not slip on the holeshot or speeds over 100. I sold the cat in August just prior to having wrist surgery (Doc said no riding this year). I had my Scaphoid bone removed and 4 other bones fused with a spider plate. This xray was taken 2 days ago when I broke my ring finger and got 6 stitches (look at the tip), but that's a whole nuther story! I had doc's permission to ride til then.

Tom

Attachments

• wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 26
I recently worked on a few cats for a neighbor. they have some neat ideas, but they are just cheaply made. they were never my favorite at all, but I had no idea how cheap they were put together :( welcome back! other than the DD, how was the 900?

i have a freind that only buys cat he says you just expect to tow them home all the time .Makes me wonder whyyyyyyyyy buy one.I havent been able to afford to buy a new sled since 1993 so the only sled to buy used is a yamie.How many cats do you see with 20000 kilos on them ? I have not seen one. but alot of yamies you do

I think you could get the miles on them, but you will have to do a lot more maint and repairs on them. I keep loving the orange firecats because they look awesome, but then I see one up close and just don't like the fit and finish.

03viperguy said:
I recently worked on a few cats for a neighbor. they have some neat ideas, but they are just cheaply made. they were never my favorite at all, but I had no idea how cheap they were put together :( welcome back! other than the DD, how was the 900?

The 900 pulled HARD. If it were an 03' (chain drive) it would have been a great sled. From everything I read about the ZR800's and the 900's, they are a very dependable motor once the exhaust valves are properly shimmed. There are guys with well over 10k miles on them.
I do think Yamaha's are built to with stand more punishment though. A friend of mine landed his F7 on a stump which snapped the driveshaft and bent the frame, he can't get his clutches aligned. It didn't look like he hit it that hard. Now if he pins it wide open for more than about 5 seconds his belt will blow!

Tom

I know that some guys have good luck, but man my neighbor is NOT one of them it doesnt seem. had to rebuild the skid at like 2500 miles. all the bearings, the plastic guides for the torsion springs, the adjusting blocks for the torsion springs. just a lot of odds and ends. the secondary had to be replaced last year (it is an 03) and the primary is junk now. just seems like a LOT of extra work. but it does go like stink and looks sharp :)

Back