sl 292 for a one-lunger 100

notoriousTOD

I just picked up an sl 292 that I want to prepare for a one-lunger 100 race. I want to keep the budget low. So far I've only got $200 invested in buying it. I've read through old posts concerning the 292. It sounds like a reliable motor which is a must for a 100 mile race.
I was thinking of doing some mods to it, but I don't want to compromise endurance. One post mentioned skirting the pistons. Will this make it less reliable? If not, how much should I take off? How about shaving the head? I have to use "pump gas", so I can't have too much compression. Will higher compression reduce the life? If not, how much should I take off?
The skis seem really long. I have to keep steel skis, but I think they can be any steel skis. Would shorter, lighter skis be faster? Would they turn as well?
Any other help would be appreciated. I have to keep the HR carb to keep it in that class.

Thanks!!

-Todd

I would not do much to it. Shaving the head will actually make these motors slower.
You can skirt the piston, but if you take too much off you won't gain anything.

not 292

I just got this. It's an sl292 chassis. I assumed it was the correct motor. I was just looking it over. I was looking on the cylinder to find if it had 292, or 292s, or sb. I didn't see anything. What I did see, was on the recoil case, it says: S246-027843. Is the 246, 246cc? The recoil assembly is plastic and looks newer. Is this an ET250 motor? Can I tell from the #'s what year it is?

Some pictures for you.

P1010018.jpg

P1010021.jpg

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/vmaxx4/Newberry Onelunger 200 - 2009/

Click ^^^^

Last edited:
RJH said:
Wow....looks good..are you the guy the Doug tells me about with a 292?

Sorry I'm just a guy who takes pictures. My racing days are in my past.

Back