Timing a 433

wls

I recently did a dial gauge timing precedure on the 440 that I race, runs good. I set the indicator in the mag side and zeroed it out, then went to the correct btdc, like I said runs great. Anyway I have a service manuel for a 77 sst, with the same motor, and its timing explains to get the tdc, then turn the motor to the correct btdc, if marks are not aligned, then to loosen the 2 pulsar coil screws, and move the pulsar to the correct alignment, then repeat the other cylinder. On my above timing job, I just loosed the 4 screws that held the stator plate, and moved the pto pulsar coil, to align with the mark on the flywheel. What is the correct way to do the yamaha's? I'm sorta thinking the moving of the 2 pulsars would be more spot on. Also I never did the mag side to see where the marks was. Thanks

The way you did it is correct if they ended up spot on. I would do it your way and if the second one is off slightly I would change it. As far as running good; you wouldn't know if it was off by quite a bit and that may be enough to self destruct. Be sure to check it.

dynofun said:
The way you did it is correct if they ended up spot on. I would do it your way and if the second one is off slightly I would change it. As far as running good; you wouldn't know if it was off by quite a bit and that may be enough to self destruct. Be sure to check it.

Ya i know, Its got me curious now, I may check the pto side now to see where the pulsar is at. I would guess that say if the pto side was off, then you could like burn down that side, and not even think it was a timing issue.

Back