76 SRX snopro

tseaberg

Hey, New to this forum. I would like to hear what you guys know about the 76 SRX snopro's. These were the ones with the different hood that the engine stuck through, very similar to the GPX liquids of 75.

So I would just like to hear what you guy's know. how many were built? who got them, and what was all diferent about the snopro's that the "good" racers got for the mod classes versus the stock 76 SRX's.

The reason I ask is a friend is just finishing up a 76 SRX snopro clone and I we think we got everything as close to the original snopro's in our opinion. so if anybody knows anything more that would be great!!! And pictures would also be great. I will get some pictures up soon of my friends SRX.

No he means the '76's. I didn't really think there was much different other than the hood, motor and pipe mods.

We had them - in 76 - I'll tell you more later on.

As far as the chassis - most of the parts were interchangable...but they were not made of the same material - + the cosmetic look was better.

A guy in Innisville made a clone..it is amazing.

Leading340PeterboroughFinal.jpg

You can make a clone from the many pictures available. I have only a few. The seat, hood, front suspension adjustment bolt , gas tank, skis, handlebars and the hood is what tricks it out….and no extra stuff.

Both the 75 and 76 used identical bolt holes and chassis configuration as their respective models. GPX in 75 and SRX in 76. Almost no one part was stock however ….the frame was thin 7075 T4 aluminium…but rigid I bet ½ the weight. The skid came stock –but again…light. Ti bolts were cupped even. The tracks were steel for some reason..we had our own made by the guy that designed the Manta. Ours used arboly on a Gates rubber we selected. ….a coated titanium and we had no problems. Same thing the Polaris factory used.

Clutches were Cat front and back. Ignition was TZ rotor. The only downside was they made us all run circle m crabs. We went thru an about 10 sets a season.

The crank, crankcase, and rod were stock. Only the exhaust port was polished. Everything else was as cast – it was a special cast so things were right..but no grinder marks. The special pipes were tuned in the Yamaha piano factory – resonance wise.

Would like to see some pictures of what you have done. The Lee brothers in Innisville have the best one I have seen so far.

Peterborough340winning.jpg

Well thanks for the help RJH. The one we have been working on is the closest to original that I have ever seen.

We have been looking at pictures of the ones that have ran in the u.s. in 76. But we have never really seen a good picture of the gas tank on the 76 SRX which as far as I know is different than the one used on the 75 liquid gpx's. So thats is why the tank on this one is just made up to look neat and most people will believe it.

so heres a list of things we did to make it look like the 76 snopro's.
hood, ski stabilizer supports, smaller "pencil" shocks with the relocated brackets to hold them, rear suspension adjusting bolt, gas tank, seat, handle bars, different radiator, different hood straps on the side, and decals.

The things we are really wondering about is the chain case cover. I have seen some of the liquid gpx's having a fibre glass or some other composite cover. And the brake disc. I have seen some drilled some drilled and slotted and some just left alone. We were thinking of drilling this one. also wondering about the leaf springs. I know the 76 snopro team mercs had all but the large leaf spring removed on the left side. Seeing as though there is really not need for three on that side I can see the thought. Did you guys ever do anything like that on your yamaha's?

thanks for any more help you may have everything is appreciated. So heres some picture of our work so far and if you see anything you want more pictures of I can get them tomorrow. We got lots of work to do on one of the 77's. So if we know of anything more to do we will for shure do it to this 76 clone. Please let us know what you think and if there is anything we should change. We are hoping to do a liquid GPX clone next, But we have one small problem..... No engine!!!!!!! I got the bottom end and pistons but need the cylinders head and waterpump. so if anybody can help!!!! We would really appreciate it!

and lastly I think I know why they were using the tz ignition. Ever seen a set of SRX heads like in the last picture? :dunno: they are very cool!!!! Supposedly some yamaha guys tried them but found no improvement so they chucked them! so that is why they were using the 4 coil wire tz-750 ignition setup.
357603159.jpg

357602729.jpg

357603281.jpg

I've been told where there is two 75 GPX liquids in canada for sale. I have been keeping this under my hat and planning on going to look at them in the spring when the snow is gone. I'm not sure of the shape they're in, or exactly what they are, all I was told is that they are 75 GPX's with the kalamzoo hoods. I wasn't really that terrible interested in them as I've been told that there is zero parts available for these, therefore they're an ornament. I have a 79 SRX that I was planning on buying a hood for and restoring to look like some pictures of 77's that I've seen with this hood. I figured at least I'd be able to enjoy that as opposed to just looking at it. There's some other items there that I'm interested in, so I won't disclose where they are until I've had my chance. Then I'll post the facts here. Best. G.

Are these 76 Sno Pro heads? Notice there is no radius by the spark plug holes. And the sno pro heads are totally flat with the water intake/outtake is. (click on the picture to blow it up) I will try to post a picture of the heads i have this next weekend. Curt

Attachments

• BBQ04_21.jpg
    BBQ04_21.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 0b39_1.jpg
    0b39_1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
tseaberg said:
Heres some more!!! and the last picture showing why the need for the 4 coil wires.
357602973.jpg

357603071.jpg

357602799.jpg

349432990.jpg
This is all very interesting. Pretty sure ALL the 76 sno pros had wide front ends like the 77 though.

Hey Dynofun, MOST of the 76's had the wide front end. I think eventually they might have all went to it, But there is one very important 76 snopro that did not have a widened front end!!!! I don't have a good picture of it to share now but schubitzke's eagle river winning SRX did not have a widened front end. which is mainly why this one is the way it is. this one sort of started out as a clone of that sled but eventually it was just a clone of the 76 snopro's however we could draw the line as to what they used. because I am shure they were all somewhat different.

Did you take a look under ''The holy grail''?Man,hope all those beautiful sleds gets restored and get good homes.Thinking especialy on the 82 srx and the 79 and 80 i saw on that site

tseaberg said:
Hey Dynofun, MOST of the 76's had the wide front end. I think eventually they might have all went to it, But there is one very important 76 snopro that did not have a widened front end!!!! .

All 76 sleds pro sleds had the standard wide front end with the boot. I can spill the information today….as there is no competition…..but they were too wide and didn’t have proper weight transfer.
They would only steer with the inside ski so you had to drag it around a corner.

We used the 75 guts as well, plus…..we left the saddle on but bolted the ski more towards the chassis…and….we had the carbide bolted offset as well…towards the chassis. The left saddle was spaced the other way.

In the end…the carbide was almost under the spindle.

Take a look at Benders factory Polaris…he is doing the same thing ….sneaky…wise.

You might see it in this picture…one of only a few I have.

Attachments

• Peterborough 340 winning.jpg
    Peterborough 340 winning.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for all the info RJH, It is very helpful and neat to hear from the perspective of an original racer!

I am still wondering what your setup was like for the front end.

As for the widened or not front end. It looks to me that in the pictures that most of the 76 snopro's used the widened front end with the fablic covers. it looks to be just a little widening not nearly as much as the 77. But in turn they took out the ski spreaders so it probably ended up with the same width as stock? Just my observation? also in the pictures of the 76 snopro's without the fabric covers the front bulkhead crossmember appears to be wider than the pan, So must be widened on them.

also can you explain more how you set up your 76? It sounds like you took out the ski spreader and ran the ski and leaf spring directly under the spindle? Is it the same on both side's or did you do different things on the left and right side?

and What did you think of the 76 snopro clone I posted pictures of my friends? Does it look pretty close to you?

sorry for so many specific questions but I guess that is what it takes to learn more and have a nicer snopro clone!

Back