Vmax 540 - too much fuel

Zachalyse

I'm able to start my Vmax cold with no choke. It runs but will stall if I don't crack the throttle. And all this is without the choke. It appears to be getting to much fuel. Carbs have been gone through several times. Everything is good. Any ideas? fuel pumps?

POSSIBLEY FUEL PUMPS BUT DOUBT IT BECAUSE SLED WILL START AND RUN. I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD HAVE '' FLOODING ISSUES ''. POSSIBLEY TRY DROPING DOWN PILOTS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

VMAX535 said:
Check:

Ckoke freeplay
needle & seat
float height
stock pilots and needles are fine
270 mj for <1500'

All have been checked by myself twice and lastly by dealer. Dealer had it running nice. Picked it up, brought it home where it sat for a week. Tried tom start with typical method of choking and could not start it. She sat for another 2 weeks. This time I tried to start it with no choke and she fired up. Would not idle and tried to stall upon touching the choke.

So, last time it ran fine was at dealership. Made two attempts to start since with no luck getting it to run steady

Choke pulls on with a cable but off with a spring. Can easly hang open. Take out choke with the cable on it, clean with emery and lube.

I would check the fuel pumps ,my Vmax did the very same thing and it was one of the diaphrams in the fuel pumps that had a tair in it ,mine ran fine ,but when you shut it off and it sat for a while it would act like it was flooded and you had to hold the throttle wide open to get it to start .

Last edited:
vmax-540 said:
I would check the fuel pumps ,my Vmax did the very same thing and it was one of the diaphrams in the fuel pumps that had a tair in it ,mine ran fine ,but when you shut it off and it sat for a while it would act like it was flooded and you had to hold the throttle wide open to get it to start .

Where is the best place to get rebuild kits?

Vmax540 said:
VMAX535 said:
Isn't that Pretty lean for that low of alt. especially, if running in lower temps ?

Chuck I have ran that jetting for 23 years on as many as 10 different sleds. Some with updated porting. As long as your powerjet is working properly you will not have issue.

/Dan

vmax-540 said:

I changed diaphrams in 2 sleds this past year as well. A good way test is to pop the vaccuum line of the pump. If any gas is dripping change the diaphram. If not put a piece of fuel line onto the pumps vaccuum line fitting and suck on it, if it suck air/fuel change the diaphram.

are you shuttin off the gas when not in use especially if its sitting op on a stand will flood the base . shut it off when it sits for a while

Last edited:

Back