Car Hauler?

scottman0

I saw that a neighbor of mine uses a car hauler/cargo trailer (8.5x24 or so) as his sled trailer. Then I looked around and you can get a trailer of this size cheaper than a "snowmobile" trailer. The only draw back is there would be no front door, but all of my sleds (and the guys that I ride with) have reverse. Just wondering if anyone else is using this set up and their thoughts.

It isn't very hard to add a ramp to the side of a utility trailer either. I've seen a few.
I've also seen sales on new snowmobile trailers for less than most used ones.

I use a 8.5X20 Haulmark car hauler as a snowmobile trailer. I can get five sleds in there in a tight squeeze. 4 sleds no problem. I installed snowmobile ski tie downs in the floor like any other snowmobile trailer. The only problem is the width between the wheel wells. I need to put the sleds in one facing foward and the one next to it facing in reverse. (Hopefully you know what i mean) This is not a problem if your sleds have reverse. Jeff Wurl

I was thinking that if I went with a 22' or 24' that I could stagger them by the wheel wells to put them in all facing forward.

Im assuming your talking about an enclosed car hauler.
I dont think you would be able to get around the wheel well issue.But the good news is that the trailer is lower then your typical snowmobile trailer, so that means the ramp angle is alot less, making it easier to back a sled in to the trailer.
The other drawback is weight and wind resistance. Flat nose car hauler versus a V-nose snowmobile trailer.

I have an enclosed two place right now, but need a bigger trailer as the kids are riding. I am looking at options. Car hauler being lower to the ground, less in price, and I could use it for more than just hauling the sleds. I guess I never paid much attention to the v-nose, since I have a cap on my pick up and my wife has a Suburban.

Narrow body inline sits lower also. Can't get a car into it but you'll give up a couple miles to the gallon with flat front. Go all aluminum for weight, saving more fuel. You won't need to paint the steel to keep it looking good. There are some all alum car haulers out there but I would not call them inexpensive.
Good luck in ur search!
:letitsnow :bling: :WayCool: :jump: see avatar pic for mine

Nothing is inexpensive nowadays. I was comparing steel framed trailers. I know that aluminum is the way to go for the long haul. Just thinking that if I could find a deal out there, I could make it happen.

wexfordhunter, I would love to have a trailer like yours!

Keep eyes open for them, bought this in 2005 it was only 6 mos old for $6600. It was probably close to $9000 new then. Right now without finished interior I'd think 8. If your handy all inside work can be done yourself. My son and I put in all the insulation, lights (110 & 12v) heater battery, converter and solar panel. My garage away from home if I need it. There was one of these that went for 6500 used last year about 20 mi from me. I'll wath for ya! You got all summer now.
:bling: :letitsnow

Car haulers are the way to go. They are built much stronger than a snowmobile trailer, and they are low so you have a nice, shallow ramp to climb into the trailer. You also have headroom in there. I run an 8.5x20' car hauler myslef. I would never buy an enclosed snowmobile trailer.

Back