My new project sled

Here's the '79 srx I just picked up this past Sat. Missing a few odds and ends, but for the most part is all there and does run very good. I have a bunch of sleds I need to summerize for people then after that I will be tearing into this thing. I can't wait the plan is to take it to vintage rides and maybe a bit of vintage grass dragging.

I would love to hear any tips on sources for parts. Also since grass dragging is in the plans where's the best place to get tuning advice? Seems like some tech savy guys hanging here. :2strokes:

Attachments

• srx1.jpg
    srx1.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 36
  • srx2.jpg
    srx2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 19
  • srx4.jpg
    srx4.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 21

Getting the itch to get started soon on this. Is there a shop manual that covers this sled...I haven't seen one? Haven't nailed down my exact plan for it yet, want to get it torn down and go from there.

welterracer said:
That should be a fun project.. THose things ripped for a 440

Should be a blast I can't wait. Its too bad I got it this spring, would love to have tried it out first since it seems to run real good. I have so much going on it'll probably be in a million pieces throughout this whole winter.

Got a shop manual on its way and I have a line on a Lee Fredrickson 'glass pan and boots for it. Wish the original pan was in better shape.....its going to be rider, but this one has a huge hole patched up where the mag side air vent underneath is, so its just a little too rough for even my tastes as a rider. Since I'm not doing an original resto I'm not too concerned about pan being 'glass.

Does anyone know if a fiberglass pan affects me trying to run stock classes for grass drags???

Back