Mod or Upgrade?

bravo-guy

Guys right now I am debating on whether I should keep my Mountain Lite and Mod it out (everything except big bore/porting) or get a Mountain Max or Viper Mountain? I need your guys help on this. I like the Mountain Lite, but I never rode it with the pipe on yet, but I want a sled that can keep up (or pass them lol) in the powder, my buddies got MXZ 700's and renegade 800's, mostly Doo guys, and well, my sled doesn't quite keep up sometimes. Im stumped on what to do? :letitsnow

At best you will see 90 horse out of the 485 fan and that will be hot enough that you will be on a time bomb. I rode one for a few years at about 80hp and it was pretty reliable, but you will need to learn how to tune it. In the end you are still riding a sled that makes way less power than any of the others you have listed. A stock mountain max is about 112 or so and will run forever with whatever fuel you get. Modded up they are good for 140ish or maybe a bit more depending on the porting/pipes. Your buds sleds that you listed are all in the 125 - 140+ range.

In my opinion you'd be better off dumping the phazer and getting something that makes the power you are looking for in a more stock fashion.

Edit: Just reread your post and see that you are on an 01. That's the same chassis as the mountain max so you are even more behind in the power to weight game with your phazer. The older TSS sleds weighed less and ran basically the same motor as the proaction phazer.

Last edited:
You are better off with a Viper Mountain. If you can try and find and 05. I've ridden both a mtn max and a Viper Mtn. Viper Mtn wins hands down.

I know for a 2004 Viper Mountain now that I can get for 3500 Canadian, has 15000 kms fairly high but not to bad, plus it has a bender 4x4 pipe, 2 different cans plus stock can. heel clicker clutch kit, and some other extras for looks/functionality. Also would the reverse off my Mountain Lite fit on the Viper Mountain?

Ryan B said:
A stock mountain max is about 112 or so and will run forever with whatever fuel you get. Modded up they are good for 140ish or maybe a bit more depending on the porting/pipes. Your buds sleds that you listed are all in the 125 - 140+ range.

I thought that the ZX chassis 800 had around 130 hp (but those are real time bombs, my buddie went through 2 cranks on that sled and needs it done again now, and I know another guy who just had a new crank on his ZX 800. How will a 00+ mountain max fair against my sled in powder, because of the extra weight? I have to almost try to get my sled stuck now.

Also wondering about a Summit 600, I know its not a Yammie but...

Last edited:
My wife is still riding a 97 mountain max, but we have pretty much reworked the whole thing to get it so that it works like she wants it too. Finally got it so that it works like it should for her. It was an alright sled in stock form, but now it doesn't scare me to take it to the mountains.

I have no experience with the viper, but am currently riding an srx based sled and like it alot. Doesn't go like my buds 990 cat mod does though:(

bravo-guy said:
I know for a 2004 Viper Mountain now that I can get for 3500 Canadian, has 15000 kms fairly high but not to bad, plus it has a bender 4x4 pipe, 2 different cans plus stock can. heel clicker clutch kit, and some other extras for looks/functionality. Also would the reverse off my Mountain Lite fit on the Viper Mountain?

I see you're in Newfoundland. There is a guy in Corner Brook, Nefoundland that has a 97 Vmax4 Mountain Max for sale. Atleast he did a couple months ago. Last of the Unicorns and the rarest of the Vmax4's. Another cool thing was it had Vin # for the first 97 MM built that year. If it wasn't a three day trip and a boat ride one way it would be in my garage. They had around 150 horse. Hard on gas but the power makes up for that.

valin said:
Upgrade, then mod :)

No can do for that lol, unless I ride it stock for a winter and upgrade in summer, I'm in high school man so if I want a new sled I need to make the funds myself :rulez: although I would like to have a triple piped mountain max. I need to know now though if the reverse on my sled will work on a viper mountain or a mountain max? I have read that mountain lites that are modded are little sleepers, If i keep my sled I will be getting a clutch kit, got a pipe now, and a transfer enhancement kit, and any other little things that will boost performance (like some reeds, ect)

I'm not an expert, but the reverse from one proaction sled should fit in another. They all use the same chaincase/dimensions.

As for a sleeper phazer. Sure it can be, but there is a limit to how far you can take a fan cooled sled and it's a pretty low ceiling. The 2001 motor is a little different than the 84-98 motor, but they are basically the same thing so the same info will generally apply. I had a 91. It was piped, ported, thinned head gasket rather than cutting, reeds, piston cut, flatslide carbs, and whatever else could be done and still trail ride it. I never dyno'ed it but the guy that did the motor work for me figured it was running about an honest 82 horse or so based on his experience with that motor. At that level I had to cut a gallon or so of 110 in each take to keep it from rattling the pistons apart and the compression was stiff enough that I couldn't keep a recoil in it. Sled was set up with some lightweight stuff and a 136x1.25" track. Here in the flatlands it was darn near unstoppable, but it wasn't very fast due to the gearing I ran. Doesn't even compare to my current ride.

Having done both things you are thinking of, if it was my $$ I'd try and sell the phazer and buy a bigger sled. The 700 class liquids are all going to make 1.5 times the power stock than your phazer ever will. Then if you want more power the potential is there to make more.

My two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Back