advant-edge helix questions

mopar1rules

has anybody noticed their advant-edge helix, machined kinda poorly? also, did any of you notice the bushing, not being concentric/inline with the center of the helix bushing bore? my bushing wobbles all over the place and 2 of the plastic buttons don't contact the helix ramps. i'm going to make a new bushing and hope it fixes it....it should. also, you can see some of the saw cut marks, from when they cut the blank of material, to make the helix out of. they didn't face enough off of it during the machining process, to remove all of these ugly saw marks. this is my first advant-edge helix, and so far i have to say the machining sucks. also, its made out of steel, which = more weight. i just hope the angle cut works great for shifting/my clutch recipe/combo.

I have owned/used about 100 advantedge helix,s in the past. The workmanship has been flawless & thats the only helix i will still use today in my personal sleds. Remember...the cut is at least 4-5 degrees more aggressive then allmost any other helix out there.
So you bought the helix & are gonna tune the primary around that?
Kinda clutching done in reverse.

I bought my viper with one of these Advant edge roller systems on it. Does anyone know if there is any information on these? Are parts still availible?

Are you sure you have an Advant-Edge helix? I have about 200 of these and not a single one is made of steel, all are aluminum. As for saw marks I sell about 300 of these each year and haven't seen a saw mark in one at all either, craftmanship on these is usually 110%!

yeah, my bad.....the helix is aluminum. just a quick glance i thought it was steel, as the nickel plating thru me off @ first. also, i scooped it up, to have in my inventory of helixs. never know when you'll need it. Turk, are both the angles (start & finish), 4-5deg steeper, or just the initial?

i put the helix in the lathe, and indicated in the outside of the helix, and the bushing is not concentric with the OD of the helix. i pressed the bushing out and inspected the bushing further. they or somebody tried turning the OD of the bushing, and they only took material off about 135deg around the bushing, instead of 360deg. know what i mean? so, its the bushing that appears to be the culprit. i'll make a new one tomorrow. i'll have to post some pics of the sawcut marks and such.

Last edited:
made a new bushing and now the helix works on the clutch ok. now all the plastic buttons touch the helix ramps equally. it was that POS bushing all along. i will post up some pics tonight of the helix, to show the sawcut marks tho.

here's the pic to show the sawcut marks that never got machined off....notice the ripples on the surface, around my new bushing....

Attachments

• DSCF1282.JPG
    DSCF1282.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
i never said they (saw cut marks) would affect performance. its just that i expect sawcut marks to be machined out of the "hi-end" parts like these billet helixs.....it would be kinda like getting a polished exhaust for your R1 bike, and having a bunch of scratches in it and a spot that they didn't even polish or something. it would kind of tick you off. of course the cosmetic flaws wouldn't affect the way the exhaust functions, but you would expect no cosmetic flaws. just like i expect all the sawcut marks to be machined out on their $60,000 cnc turning center. maybe the operator was too lazy and didn't have the tool length offsets right or something? i'm a cnc machinist and personally would never let a part go out like that. i guess i'm just picky about cosmetic things. just wanted to know if anyone else had this kind of stuff going on w/their advant-edge helixs. IMO, daltons have the best machining performed on them. but, w/my new bushing in this helix, the plastic buttons all contact the helix ramps now, so it should work just fine.

Last edited:
That is an older style helix. They now have a outter "lip" where those saw marks are on yours and this makes it so you can only push the bushing in as far as the lip and not all the way through the helix. They did have some issues with "egging" the bushing when pushing them in.

Srxspec said:
That is an older style helix. They now have a outter "lip" where those saw marks are on yours and this makes it so you can only push the bushing in as far as the lip and not all the way through the helix. They did have some issues with "egging" the bushing when pushing them in.

thanks Srxspec.....that's good to know. my bushing did seem to be "egged" and i feel that was the whole problem to why the plastic buttons wouldn't contact the helix ramps correctly. so, advant-edge has like 2 versions? ones w/o lip and ones w/lip?

Back