Idler wheel bearings & oil

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I know that racers and speed run guys will use transmission oil or some such in their idler bearings to cut down on parasitic drag caused by the grease normally in them but has anyone experimented in trail running idler bearings with say synthetic 80W90 in them?The synthetic oil is thinner than regular and should allow the bearing to spin freer plus you wouldn't have that heavy grease in there.The seals should be able to hold the oil in and with a thin film of oil on the races and balls rust should be cut way back and bearings ideally would last longer.

Just some food for thought,been a slow week here.

The ultimite killer of bearings is water.Seals appear to be water tight but are still able to let it in.After a seal has been removed to put oil in it they just dont reseal as well as new.We have tryed injecting a product called TR FLO into the bearing with a sqringe and the bearing will spring like a mother for the season but will show signs of rust the next season.

For a trail sled there is some very good grease out there if you wanted to take the time to repack them.

And in the end the bearing should last longer.80/90 or any oil will try to blow out of the seal imo but it would not hurt trying.

TRI-FLOW is a silicone oil not reccomended for bearing applications.

Lubriplate low-temp would be a better choice.

overfilling of the bearing causes a skidding effect and will generate heat another killer of bearings.

My cousin deals in Amsoil products and he gave me some chassis grease to try;it is really light compared to other synthetic greases and may work better than wheel bearing grease which I usually use to repack idler bearings.I mentioned using 80/90 oil in place of grease just for the sole fact it is lighter and may cause less drag but in a trail ridden sled how noticeable would this actually be?I'm willing to guess not very plus I never took into account the heat generated by the movement of the balls against the race and the expansion of the oil which would try to blow out the seals so mabey this is an idea better left in the what if column.

truetoblue said:
TRI-FLOW is a silicone oil not reccomended for bearing applications.

Lubriplate low-temp would be a better choice.

overfilling of the bearing causes a skidding effect and will generate heat another killer of bearings.

Yes thanks for pointing that out.But if you take notice i did not recommend it i said we use it on our race sled and gave the effects it will cause.Thank you

sealed bearings rarely come with oil of any kind. oil lube works in chain cases crank cases and other oil bath type applications. if you want less drag use low drag sealed bearings. most of the drag is from the seal surface contactiing the inner ring of the bearing.

as i posted about the tri-flo it would be a good 1 run type lube but i would discard the bearing after the run is completed.

i never said you suggested anything just made a statement.

you can also get ceramic balled bearings where a light oil would be suitable.

have fun and sled safely.

Yes the average trail sled will see no differance in a bearing,there is more drag ( track on sliders )Thats is why bigger wheels really do help,

Now on a soapbox derby car bearings and proper wheels can put you up front in a heartbeat.

Back