rear idlers and offset axles

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How big of a rear idler can a person use before they have to go to an offset axle?I'd like to put larger wheels on the SC10 II I have in my SRX but if I have to spend a couple hundred on an axle plus buy the bigger wheels it gets kind of pricey.

You can only go as far as the bottom of the sliders without haveing problems with the track clips being raised and more weight on the wheels.

There is a mod you can do but you have to be a welder or willing to visit one.

After finding how big of a wheel you will use mark the height of the axle on the rail.
cut the top of the rail out with a jig saw and weld it in the bottom.This will raise the axle slide up.
adjusters will have to be raised as well.

I have no problem cutting and welding the rails I have a couple of friends that weld and we even have a first rate machine shop locally so that part is not a problem.Now all I have to do is see what I can find for idlers.Thanks

You no i was just checking
stock doo is 6 1/2
stock yami is 7
you could run the 7 if you dont rail to hard on hard packed as it would only hang down a 1/4
or go to the old srx wheel that is 7 1/2 so it is told.
I dont no if you get a thicker slide.You should chech into that.

The only glitch in that plan is that the axles are a different size,the Yamaha wheels use 6004 bearings and the Doo ones use 6205.I all ready looked into that as a means to accomplish what I want but it wont work.

How about hogging the axle slide holes bigger on top to take the bigger axle,Than you could put a 4 wheel kit in and keep them even with the slides?

bluewho said:
How about hogging the axle slide holes bigger on top to take the bigger axle,Than you could put a 4 wheel kit in and keep them even with the slides?
The Yamaha axle is small in diameter than the Doo one so the only way I could use that one with the larger wheels would be to fill in the holes to match the axle size and make a bushing for the tension adjusters.Hmm I just thought of an idea ;)! thanks blue.

I could not remember what was what but yes a simple groove on top of the pipe you slide over the axle will work nice and raise the axle to boot.

The adjuster will need some work but a bushing with a closed end and is larger the bolt end will work fine.

I am shure you will Mc Giver something up.

Back