motocross style helmets

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I'm leaning towards buying,or at least trying,a motocross style helmet with goggles this winter and would like some feedback from those that use this setup.I wear a balaclava now with my snoforce helmet to help keep my face somewhat warm but can I wear it with goggles?
How cold on the face are these helmets?
Do goggles fog up as bad as a shield?

#1 Yes
#2 Not at all if you buy the right stuff
#3 Same as #2

It's really all in the goggles, I use a ONE industries helmet and im a fan of Scotts winter goggles. I went with the Scotts 89Xi w/ self tinting lenses.

Works perfect with just the nose shield scotts gives you. I never get cold or fog up

been riding with a motocross style helmet and gogles for about seven years and I don't plan on going back to the face sheild helmet anytime soon.
I have a KBC helmet that can be converted between a motocross and sheild type helmet. I have used it in both configurations on the same day in many different weather conditions to see which I prefer and I can tell you that the motocross config is better for overall vision, my gogles rarely fog up and I am actually warmer with it than when I have the sheild on it.
Mills

So I should look for winter sports specific goggles?
What about ski type goggles are they suitable for sledding?
The self tinting lenses are great I use something similar on my shield now,what brands offer this option?

I switched to mx style 2 years ago. your field of vision is greater and the helmet is lighter! you need to find good goggles but not all are reliable. The Scott 89xi's are real good and I tried the 509 goggles last year with decent results. sometimes one works better than the other. i usually carry both sets of goggles and a spare lense or 2. Good luck! you should like the switch!

As I stated this is just MY opinion but I would go with Scotts. I have nothing but great things to say about the 89Xi goggles. The winter goggles will have about twice as much foam padding around them which helps to seal any possible leaks out.

TopGunnSrx said:
As I stated this is just MY opinion but I would go with Scotts. I have nothing but great things to say about the 89Xi goggles. The winter goggles will have about twice as much foam padding around them which helps to seal any possible leaks out.
I found the Scotts goggles in a mail order catalog but there are 2 different styles of the light sensitive ones a single lens and a double lens.I'm assuming that the double lens ones would be better for sledding?

i wear one

I use a "CKX TX-417 RAVEN HELMET" with smith snow warp goggles, i got a couple of different lenses and i really love it, the lenses are both single panes, and they rarely fog up, i have a breath guard that buttons into the helmet and i never ever get cold. the CKX "raven" is around $100 and the goggles around $50,

heres the link to the helmet
http://www.shadetreepowersports.com...&itemSt=76-42&coreDsc=CKX TX-417 RAVEN HELMET

you have to order the breath deflector separate, its like $12

and the goggles
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...in&catId=&productId=p372804&leafCatId=&mmyId=

the helmet doesnt have clearcoat on it, which i really like the looks of it, its powdercoated, i think it looks 100x better than a clearcoated helmet. (i have the red helmet and the yellow goggles)

Last edited:
I have another question about the motocross style helmets that hopefully someone can answer and it is that most all of these helmets I'm looking at are more or less dirt bike helmets and are filled with vents.Would this not make the helmet cold?Doo has a few in their catalog marketed as snowcross ones and don't seem to have the vents in them as the others do and maybe better for winter riding?
The CKX helmets mentioned above are nice lids but I've seen a real nice Fox motocross helmet on sale in a mail order catalog for around $200 on sale.I know it's more than the CKX but the Fox is carbon fibre/kevlar composite and is a high end helmet but is also full of vents and I don't know how this would feel on a 0 degree day.
Can anyone chime in here and shed some light?

I have the HJC moto helment with Spy Blizzard blue chrome. I also were the Klim face mask too and a breath box. This combo works for me, it is only cold on loooong straight aways in open areas. Otherwise, the helement is great.

Last edited:
fourbarrel said:
I have another question about the motocross style helmets that hopefully someone can answer and it is that most all of these helmets I'm looking at are more or less dirt bike helmets and are filled with vents.Would this not make the helmet cold?Doo has a few in their catalog marketed as snowcross ones and don't seem to have the vents in them as the others do and maybe better for winter riding?
The CKX helmets mentioned above are nice lids but I've seen a real nice Fox motocross helmet on sale in a mail order catalog for around $200 on sale.I know it's more than the CKX but the Fox is carbon fibre/kevlar composite and is a high end helmet but is also full of vents and I don't know how this would feel on a 0 degree day.
Can anyone chime in here and shed some light?

I used a Bell open face for years and it had closeable vents on top. I could never tell the difference opened or closed.

I've been riding with an HJC MX for about 12 years now and had to tape around the goggle/cheek area to close off a small gap. The field of view actually decreased from the open faced. I tossed the breath sheild and only use a neck sock pulled up over my chin but not over my nose.

I have Scott and Malcom Smith goggles which fit about the same (both single lense). As long as I don't breathe when stopped or putting through no wake zones (it has become a habit) I never have a problem with fogging.

compared to wearing a full face sno force helmet, wearing goggles decreasing your field of vision. the winter version of any goggles, adds a thicker layer of foam, thereby pulling the goggle farther away from your face and increasing the "tunnel" effect.

while i like the looks of a MX style helmet and have tried them a few times, it still can't beat the field of vision, ease of use, light weight, lack of fogging (as in zero), and warmth (with the breath deflector installed when needed) of a sno force helmet II.

Thumper1 said:
compared to wearing a full face sno force helmet, wearing goggles decreasing your field of vision. the winter version of any goggles, adds a thicker layer of foam, thereby pulling the goggle farther away from your face and increasing the "tunnel" effect.

while i like the looks of a MX style helmet and have tried them a few times, it still can't beat the field of vision, ease of use, light weight, lack of fogging (as in zero), and warmth (with the breath deflector installed when needed) of a sno force helmet II.
The loss of peripheral field of vision is one of the things I never mentioned in my posts but has been on my mind and I don't know if I could get used to it.I would like to try one of the MX style helmets and goggle setups before I commit to buying one and finding out I don't like it.I really like the light weight and ease of use (taking it on and off) of my snow force but I'd like to get away from the electric shield and it's cord which only gives me the option of a modular style with the face covering mask.Not that I'm claustrophobic or anything I just don't want my face covered by a mask like they use but it may be one of those things I could also get used to after a while.Hmmm more decisions to ponder.

fourbarrel said:
The loss of peripheral field of vision is one of the things I never mentioned in my posts but has been on my mind and I don't know if I could get used to it.I would like to try one of the MX style helmets and goggle setups before I commit to buying one and finding out I don't like it.I really like the light weight and ease of use (taking it on and off) of my snow force but I'd like to get away from the electric shield and it's cord which only gives me the option of a modular style with the face covering mask.Not that I'm claustrophobic or anything I just don't want my face covered by a mask like they use but it may be one of those things I could also get used to after a while.Hmmm more decisions to ponder.

Probably the biggest reason for going to an MX style for me was to avoid a defroster cord. I felt a need to go from open face to full face mainly for safety (too many close calls and a tech-vest only covers so much). I tried my street bike helmet with the shield cracked open but found it too cold and I figured if I'm going to end up with reduced field of view, I might as well avoid the cord too. Always looked like a PITA to me but my buddies seemed to get used to it. I have to turn my head a bit further with the reduced field of view, but I don't have a cord to deal with.

Other than the small areas the goggles didn't cover, I'm happy with the set up but I have to say I use a mid-height wind shield and can't comment on this set up with a low W/S. My guess would be it'd be a lot colder.

here's my take, i have been useing a MX style for a few years, and this year i will be goiing back to a full face. The only thing that i liked about the MX style with the goggles is the no fog. On really cold days you need to make sure there is no skin showing, because it doesn't take long to get frost bite and i got it right above the the goggles in the middle of my forehead. It was -20. The 509's i bought last year, I did not have good luck with them, with the Fox helmet the googles did not sit like my old Scott's goggles, and they broke last year taking them off my helmet where the strap meets the googles. The main reason for going back this year is the helmet lift. If you like going fast the MX style might not be the right helmet for you. Once you get to 60mph the helmet starts to lift and 80mph its even more. I have seen myself get out of throttle because of the lift. I will be going with a BVS2 this year.

fourbarrel said:

i'm surprised your sno force fogs. is it a sno force II? mine never fogs. last january when it was -35, i put the breath deflector in and never had any problems with fogging. with the breath deflector out, i never cover my nose and have no problems. with the breath deflector in, the sno force is very warm. the problem with modulars is they are very heavy in comparison and am not a big fan of the wet stinky breath deflector either.

Back