Sleddin in August

sleddineinar

VIP Member
I have been invited to go waterskipping in northern MN this weekend. I will make sure to video tape this. My question is should I worry about rejetting? I'm running 142.5 mains right now.

I cant find the thread, but did you get it water ready yet?

These things wont run is there is any holes in the panels or anything, so isolate the clutches from water with a custom shroud or something. The second I take my buddies sx7 on even a puddle it sounds disgusting and the revs drop and sounds like "boggg, bogggg boggggg"

Since your jets are setup for about -20 degrees C, warmer air will mean not as much fuel required, so you can jet down a bit, you would have to play around with it a bit to get jets that wont leave so much on the table.

Add more twist to your secondary and remove your seat!!

I've got it sealed up pretty good. I was just wondering about the jetting. My secondary have a apex helix with a 60° twist, what twist should I go to? I've watched some waterskipping before, so I know about removing the seat. Should I be concerned about water getting in through the vent in the tank if it sinks? I know there was thread earlier, probably several actually.

Let's just say I should have left the sled in the garage... I did learn few things tho: rejet for higher temps, put more twist on your helix and get a better head start!. None of which I did, I only made one attempt, I forgot to bring the jets with me so, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I had fun anyway. I'll be posting the video shortly for your entertainment. There were alot of pros there, I was the only Yamaha in the crowd.

gotta give ya credit for trying it tho i always wanted to do it but never did cant wait to see the vid

It wheelied then sank. Yes I got it running again. I let it run on and off all afternoon after that and changed out the chaincase oil. I'll drain everything else later, before it gets cold. I did have good time, just wish I would have gotten farther.

Last edited:
You did not maintain enough forward speed . . .

yuk yuk yuk . . . always a wise guy huh ?

I don't think there would have been a problem if you were simply going straight across somewhere. You need a much longer distance for a start if you're low on power, and don't have a deep lug track.
A good run and that Yami woulda been on top of the water.

I don't think this happens very often, but I considered this pretty safe waterskipping. Max depth of water was about 2 feet. This was after a massive rain storm and melting of snow on the lake. Winds pushed all of the water into a bay.

At first I thought it was just a few inches of surface water... not so. (see pic with sunken Viper) Luckily it was no depper than that. My bro and a buddy got me out and after we were water skipping all day.

waterskip2.jpg

waterskip1.jpg

waterlake.jpg

waterclose.jpg

I'm glad I got to experience this "safely"

that sucks. I am far to fanatical with my sled to risk getting it all wet and muddy lol! glad you guys were at least both safe and noone got hurt!

Back