Picked up an Apex GT yesterday

RTYsxv

$2500...the front of the rear suspension is smashed, mainly needs new rails and a new front arm, a new tunnel and a right heat exchanger, plus the gauge pod console plastic (it rolled once). Everything ahead of the footrests is good. Too good of a deal to pass up! I'll put some pics up later.

The plan is to make a crossover sled out of it, put 136" rails on the skid, set it back 4" in the tunnel, and run a 144"x1.75" paddle track with extrovert drivers. Should have it all done easily under $4000. ;)!

Last edited:

I've looking at it on craiglist, but I don't have the knowledege or time to work on it, I know you know how since I saw the pictures of your ciper skid swap last year and looked very profesional.....Good luck and have fun...

Nick

Here's a few pics. Right now it's almost completely stripped down.

Attachments

• IMG_2469_1.jpg
    IMG_2469_1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2465_1.jpg
    IMG_2465_1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2460_1.jpg
    IMG_2460_1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2459_1.jpg
    IMG_2459_1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8
The way it looks right now, the aluminum that goes in front of the tunnel, in front of the footrests and underneath the engine will get replaced as well. The very rear part of it is bent too much to fix and I don't want to sacrifice strength. The front part comes with the tunnel I'm getting so no added expense. Just that now I'll be pulling the motor. Also, the tunnel protectors run all the way forward to where the engine is and are riveted where no drill can reach without the engine pulled. So I have 2 rivets left holding the entire tunnel but they are behind the engine. Bad idea Yamaha!!
I won't be able to work on it this week but when I get time I might make a work log post out of it so you guys can see what's going on and what gets involved with the total stripping down of a 4 stroke

Sledsquatch said:
Get a carbon fibre tunnel for it. Reduce some weight while adding some strength. Plus it would look cool.

Cool..? Sure, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yeah I'm getting the whole tunnel and the piece in front of it for 300 bucks..as cool as a carbon fiber tunnel is, I don't think so.

well I'm sure you could get some carbon fiber vinyl to go on the tunnel, people on dootalk did it with all black vinyl and then clear vinyl to protect it, said it held up well, alot cheaper with the good look. If my tunnel didn't have so many rivets I think I would do it. Why is there so many rivets everywhere on my tunnel anyways? It doesn't look like they are holding anything in place?

viper7mi said:
Where do you get carbon vinyl? Does it stick to plastic skis?

I'm not 100% sure, but a sign/graphic shop should have some in any design you want, diamond plate, chrome, carbon fiber, 1 color, mix of colors, etc (note - not actual chrome, carbon, etc, but looks just like it). As for sticking to plastic skis, I'm sure it would but I don't now how long it would last, I don't know how easy it tear either, a branch or anything could damage it, worth a try I guess. I would say it would look pretty sweet though.

bravo-guy said:
well I'm sure you could get some carbon fiber vinyl to go on the tunnel, people on dootalk did it with all black vinyl and then clear vinyl to protect it, said it held up well, alot cheaper with the good look. If my tunnel didn't have so many rivets I think I would do it. Why is there so many rivets everywhere on my tunnel anyways? It doesn't look like they are holding anything in place?
Every rivet I saw or drilled was holding something. I'm actually considering going with the natural aluminum tunnel and polishing it. The Apex GT comes with a black painted tunnel and I think the polished natural color would look better with the black front end. I also wouldn't need to worry about scratching paint. What do you guys think? I plan on having black powdercoated rear suspension arms too..welterracer on the 4 stroke side has a good deal on a reinforcement gusset install +powdercoat.

PM sent to SRXSRULE2

I'm considering ditching the whole Yamaha suspension and finding a 144" skid from another manufacturer. By the time I buy new rails, new front arm, get front arm gusseted, new bushings, some new wheels, and on top of that everything I need to extend to 144" I'll be further ahead with a different skid. If anyone needs any mono parts let me know.

A little update on the project -
I ended up stripping the sled down to almost nothing. I had to pull the engine to replace the aluminum sheets alongside and underneath it. Basically all that was left was the front bulkhead and suspension. Today I got it almost all back together but I'm waiting on parts. I also decided to get rid of the monoshock suspension (electric ohlins shock everything else is in the classified section by the way if you're interested!) and I have a 144" skid from a 2007 Polaris IQ Switchback on the way. I also have a Muffinworks tunnel extension on the way.

a few pictures, I also have before and after pics of polishing the top frame member

Attachments

• DSCF8043_1.jpg
    DSCF8043_1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF7966_1.jpg
    DSCF7966_1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF7965_1.jpg
    DSCF7965_1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7959_1.jpg
    DSCF7959_1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF7970_1.jpg
    DSCF7970_1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3
Here's how far along I am in reassembling it.

Attachments

• DSCF8070_1.jpg
    DSCF8070_1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF8071_1.jpg
    DSCF8071_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow... I am always so impressed by people who can take on a project this BIG! Keep up the good work and post some more pics as your project progresses.

Back