Newer Rear Skid in a Vintage Sled

Toying with the idea of throwing a 80's Phazer rear suspension in my '79 SRX. Probably make it 100 times more enjoyable on trail rides. What do you guys think?

Anyone got any pics or advice about throwing longer travel ski in vintage iron?

We put an 86 Phazer suspension in a 1980 SS 440, the rear rode alright but we were always over driving the leaf spring front end, untill we put the front pogo sticks on from the Phazer. Looked kind of funky, I will see if my bud has any pic's to send you.

Exactly what Triple X said above.

The key is to figure out what "attitude" you want the sled to ride at. Be sure to get all measurements from the donor or similar sled. Also it helps to sit on the donor or similar sled to see how far the suspension sags at riding weight. This is the key "attitude" not the unloaded position. Most be people ride sleds in the loaded position . . . wow, the comics will have fun with that one . . .

Then simply lay this out on the new sled. I like to use cardboard layouts to help simulate the transfer.

Like Triple X said - The front end needs work to match.

I have an old 80 enticer that I would like to put a pogo front end on. Anybody have any pointers on this too.

. . . Hopefully, this is not a thread hijack, but rather a thread enhancement . . .

Ding said:
Exactly what Triple X said above.

The key is to figure out what "attitude" you want the sled to ride at. Be sure to get all measurements from the donor or similar sled. Also it helps to sit on the donor or similar sled to see how far the suspension sags at riding weight. This is the key "attitude" not the unloaded position. Most be people ride sleds in the loaded position . . . wow, the comics will have fun with that one . . .

Then simply lay this out on the new sled. I like to use cardboard layouts to help simulate the transfer.

Like Triple X said - The front end needs work to match.

I have an old 80 enticer that I would like to put a pogo front end on. Anybody have any pointers on this too.

. . . Hopefully, this is not a thread hijack, but rather a thread enhancement . . .

Definitely not a hijack....I'll take all the input I can.

Here's a pic from a post on vintagesleds.com from a guy that put a phazer skid in a old exciter. He hasn't tried it yet, but doesn't looked to have raised rear of sled up too much. What did these phazers skids have for travel....6" or so? Exciter/SRX must have maybe 3"? This looks like a real clean install to me.

http://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php/topic,31264.0.html

Here's a pic of an enticer with what looks like an sc-10 from a Doo. I asked the guy how it goes, but he hasn't replied yet. This looks a little off balance to me.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=572761

Would a skid off a ss 440 be an improvement or is it very similar to what's already in the SRX? Of course with this I was hoping to extend to a 121" track. Matter of fact I picked up a decent track with one pull through I was going to try today. It is a .750" lug track. Maybe running a more aggressive track with a bunch of studs is more likely to over drive front suspension then just the rear suspension alone?

Anyone else got any input riding a vintage sled with slightly longer legs in the rear?

One thing that would help is that with increased popularity of vintage sleds I am shocked one of the plastic ski manufacturers hasn't come out with skis that are leaf spring compatible. A more aggressive ski would help a bunch.

Last edited:
I think I might take advice from here and stay with stock skid for now until I can talk to more people that may have swapped skids. I don't want to push my front suspension too much....plus I have never even ridden this sled with the stock skid to know how bad it is.

As a side note, is there a way to stretch this skid to fit a 121" track? I picked up a nice used .750" Cat track and wanted to try it on this sled. If not I will run the stock track with studs for a year and see how I do.

mogulmasher521 said:

Here's a pic from a post on vintagesleds.com from a guy that put a phazer skid in a old exciter. He hasn't tried it yet, but doesn't looked to have raised rear of sled up too much. What did these phazers skids have for travel....6" or so? Exciter/SRX must have maybe 3"? This looks like a real clean install to me.

hay, thats my sled....

big-kid said:
mogulmasher521 said:

hay, thats my sled....

Small world! You did a nice job with the install, can't wait to hear how it goes this winter.

i did widen the front end by 2.5" each side (5" total) so it wont be so tipsy either.

i also installed phazer cylinders and had the exciter heads opened up to 72mm. PSI phazer pipe, clutching, ect. basically a phazer engine in an exciter chassis. estimated right around 70HP

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I had a 79 Enticer 300 special that we modded for suspension. I used pogos off of an Exciter(87 I think), and we used its front bar for the pogos to mount to, we basically used torches to cut the large pipe that spans the belly off of the bulkhead and we welded it directly onto the bulkhead of the Enticer. I worked quite well. I then used the suspension rails from stock and made all of my own swing arms and used motorcycle shocks to help the back end. We wound up having 11" travel in the rear and it rode beautiful until the track tore down the middle. It was an original track and I was pushing it to the limit in the tension department. I really wanted to use a 121" track but money said no to that. I wonder if the sled is still in storage, its been up north for about 15 years just sitting in the back of a garage untouched ever since. I loved that sled, the only downfall was it is such a short machine, with that much travel it was damn tippy.

I am working on a solution to the front suspension problem that does not use struts.......but I can't explain it without everybody signing a non-disclosure agreement. I don't have the patent application in yet!

Big help I know, but there is an acute awareness of the shortcomings of the leaf spring on vintage sleds and now with the renewed interest in these old girls the ideas are out there and we'll be doing prototype testing this fall.

That said, in the interest of marketing, how about a little impromptu survey? What kind of cost would be acceptable for a unit that is a direct bolt on replacement for the heavy steel ski, shock and spring that would:
1. Provide adjustable compression, rebound and damping.
2. Modern plastic ski bottoms.
3. Approximated 20lbs (overall) reduction un-sprung weight.
4. Increased travel without raising ride height (approx 2 1/2 inches).
5. Eliminated sideways flex for precise steering response and feel.

There is hope to bring this product to market under $1000.00, but that's just wishful thinking at this time. The other problem is, while the prototype is mounted on, and designed to fit early yamaha sleds, the product must be made to fit other brands to make it anywhere near profitable. Thoughts?

I have to show a pic of my -84 Enticer 433 with a doo sc10 mod. It`s a blast to drive, almost like riding a bicycle... :D
And it turns some necks.. 8)

ha ha ha Do you slide to the front on the seat? That's quite a rake, seems like more than 10 inches of travel? What did you do for drivers as the enticers had that wonderful square shaft? G.

Gorkon said:
What did you do for drivers as the enticers had that wonderful square shaft? G.

I bought aftermarket drivers for that square (!) shaft and 2.52 pitch", I believe they were made in Finland.
And yes, on the first testrun I did slide forward... so back in the garage and extended the steering colum, then it felt better...
It`s a great hillclimber but downhill is a bit inconvenient/exciting :letitsnow

Through what vendor? There must be just about anything available then!? I have an 84 Enticer skid and track I want to put in a 73 GP 292, so I need drivers to fit on the earlier hex shaft.

Back