1979 Exciter Chaincase Noise

U118224

I got my 79 Exciter out last winter after it sat in storage for 10 years. It has over 13,000 miles. It ran very well but I have what I think is a problem. The chaincase made a loud grinding noise (I noticed it when I was spinning the track when it was stuck). There's no oil check for the case so I added some more lube as a precaution. I thought there was a bad bearing in the case or a tensioner problem, so I recently took it apart. Everything inside the case looks fine. The bearings turn easily and have no play. The gears and chain look very good as well. The tensioner appears to be OK, the tensioner pulley spins ealily. The jackshaft spins easily with no noise. I removed the driveshaft and the bearing. I will replace the driveshaft bearing since I have it apart, but the old bearing isin't that bad.

Any thoughts?

Was there still oil in case when you opened it up? Like YAMMIEGOD said there are seals that probably need replacing. Empty chain cases make a bunch of noise. Fortunately sounds like you have no damage.

Yes, there was oil in the case. There was no metal. The only unusual thing I noted was the nut that secures the gear on the jackshaft end was loose and wasn't even finger tight. There's a cotter key on the end of the shaft that prevents the nut from completely unscrewing. Although the nut was loose, it was still seated against the washer.

Neither case seal appeared to be leaking, but I'll replace both seals anyway. When I get it back together I guess I leave the case cover off and run the track for a short period to see what it's doing. Lastly, does anyone know where I can buy an axle housing seal? As I mentioned earler, I'm replacing the axle housing bearing and I doubt I can remove the seal without damaging it.

Thank you for the replies.

DUDE, GO TO YAMAHA FOR THAT SEAL. VERY COMON. ALSO THAT BEARING ON SPEEDO SIDE COULD BE NOISE YOUR HEARING. THEY WILL CLUNK AND CHATTER A TON WHEN BAD. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Yamaha fiche shows no availability for the front axle housing seal. There is a part number, but it can't be ordered on line. Any ideas on where I might get one?

Thanks again for the help.

Just to be clear, I'm need the seal for the speedo housing. I can get the case seals. Sorry for any confusion. Tony, the bearing in the speedo case is the one I'm replacing. As I mentioned before, the bearing isn't too bad.

IF ALL FAILS FOR YA, TRY THIS DEALER HERE IN NY. STONES SNO- SLED. 1-315-483-4329. BEEN A YAMAHA DEALER SINSE 1968 AND HAVE LOTS OF OLD NOS PARTS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Back