Stud pull through's

super1c

Super Moderator
I have a few stud pull trough's on my o4 viper 1.25 ripsaw. NO big tears but, whats the best way to leave them. I plan on a new track for next year as i just put one on my 02 so no snowmobile funds left. Should i just leave them or melt the cords ect.... Any thoughts would be great. Did a search but not much info. Thanks chris :letitsnow Its comming!!!!!!!!

I would'nt sweat it too much on tear outs that I've had I just cut any excess rubber from the area damaged so not to let it catch and rip more.I've never had further trouble when doing this.

make sure u check all the other studs aswell. I had one come out crossing a lake at 90+ mph. and I ended up leaving a nice green trail of coolant as it shot through the heat exchanger and rip the track apart. I could have prevented this by replacing the loose stud but was too lazy. I now have a nice new track with dual backers down the middle. I learned an expensive lesson but those are the ones I never make twice!

super1c said:
I have a few stud pull trough's on my o4 viper 1.25 ripsaw. NO big tears but, whats the best way to leave them. I plan on a new track for next year as i just put one on my 02 so no snowmobile funds left. Should i just leave them or melt the cords ect.... Any thoughts would be great. Did a search but not much info. Thanks chris :letitsnow Its comming!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard of anything you can do to prevent further damage at the area of the pull through. I don't think cauterizing the cords ends would help much. If they are on the outer segments of the track, you may end up with a catastrophic failure at speed. My wife's 500 ran two years without issue, but she was riding it. Another buddy wasn't so lucky... it took out the tail light when it blew.

You may want to look for other potential pull-outs. I had one partially tear and it ended up taking out the front HX. It was torn on three sides and ballooned into the HX.

Just putting around I wouldn't worry, but I'd keep it under 80.

Looks like im still up in the air on this one. I'm going to pull all the studs he (prev owner) put on the outside and give the middle a good going over. As staying under 80 is going to be a problem this year. I will just have to keep a good eye on it and see if i can make it through the season. Thanks guys!!!!! Chris

Back