Trailer mat question.

super1c

Super Moderator
Just bought my new to me trailer. I am going to use 2 old beat to death tracks i have laying around for track mats. I'm going to use deck screws to screw it down but which way works best. screwing it down with lug side up or down. Anyone found anything better than just good deck screws? :letitsnow

I've never used tracks but I would put them lug side up so the track lays flat on the trailer bed. When I put mats on my trailer I wanted stainless fasteners and ended up using ss sheet metal screws with big round heads. Deck screw will work fine.

def lug side up, on my trailer there are 3-4 steel bars about 1" high and 15-16" long for traction for the track

Agree with others above.

If those tracks have involute drive nubs they will work great to keep most of the track off the deck. This allows the deck to dry and dirt to be washed away easily. The only downside would be the extra height you are going to be at. If you have a tilt or high trailer then probably not an issue.

i do mine lugs down so that the deck stays dryer and does not hold moisture under the mats and rot, just my opinion on what i do and stainless screws

super1c said:
Just bought my new to me trailer. I am going to use 2 old beat to death tracks i have laying around for track mats. I'm going to use deck screws to screw it down but which way works best. screwing it down with lug side up or down. Anyone found anything better than just good deck screws? :letitsnow

I put the lugs up using an old Polaris track (minus the studs ;>). I used some coated tile underlayment screws that have a large head, slightly large shoulder and are squaredrive. Cheaper than stainless.

I also used the same set up on my sea wall ramp and the screws have outlasted the wood they're screwed to, about 5 years now.

Back