questions clutching, altitude, reliability etc...

bravo-guy

Hi guys, I need some answers for my questions. My Mountain Lite has a Hauck pipe, a clutch kit is on the way, and I'm thinking about ordering a set of Boyesen Power Reeds. I was talking to a Yamaha dealer, and they recommended not to pipe my 500f, because reliability will be majorly reduced, with the pipe, and the reeds wouldn't help. My altitude is at sea level, but the temperature i ride in varies from day to day, the lowest temp being -25 deg. celsius to +5 deg. celsius. Hauck recommended to jet up 2 sizes. But the dealer said that I will burn up my motor easily even if I jet up. what do you guys think of all this? I'm completely stumped on what to do now, so I need some answers soon. Thanks guys.

Your Dealer is wrong. The 485 (Phazer) engine responds very well to an aftermarket pipe. It is probably an Aaen pipe which is good for 12hp. The reeds will also compliment the pipe with better throttle responce. Follow the jetting instructions, dial in the clutching and you will be surprised how well the fan cooler will work. With the pipe & reeds you will have stock reliability and a more fun sled to ride. With the temperature change, just keep checking your plug colour and jet accordingly.

Last edited:
Triple X said:
Your Dealer is wrong. The 485 (Phazer) engine responds very well to an aftermarket pipe. It is probably an Aaen pipe which is good for 12hp. The reeds will also compliment the pipe with better throttle responce. Follow the jetting instructions, dial in the clutching and you will be surprised how well the fan cooler will work. With the pipe & reeds you will have stock reliability and a more fun sled to ride. With the temperature change, just keep checking your plug colour and jet accordingly.

Thanks for the reply, my pipe is the Hauck pipe, it reads Hauck on the side and doesn't look like an Aaen pipe, I seen pictures of them before. From what I have read is exactly what you said. I have a clutch kit from Hauck ordered a couple days ago, and the MPI straps, but I was confused because I wasn't sure what to do after what the dealer told me. Thanks.

Last edited:
does anybody else have anything at all? Re-jetting when the Temp changes is a complete pain in the A$$, so that's not an option. But if I jet 2 sizes up like Hauck recommended, I dont think I would have so much of a chance to burn up my engine. The temps I had listed dont happen on a regular basis, they are usually between -15 to -5 celsius, but sometimes the temps drop and sometimes they rise to +0, usually in the later part of winter, but we also sometimes get a mild spell in the winter and the temps rise, still completely stumped on what to do now, because I was talking to another mechanic and thought of the same thing, it will be alright in the day when the temps are slightly warmer, but then in the night I could go for a ride and burn up my pistons, because the temps drop. Help?

I had a 91 that I modded and rode the heck out of. piped, ported, reeds, head cut, flatslides. It was completely reliable, once I got it right and learned how to tune it. Before it was done I burned it down twice. Once I had it dialed I just rode it. -10F to 40F I never messed with it.

I loved the little thing, but even all hoped up it was still only a 80ish horse sled. Even a 500 liquid will make that from the factory. If you want to go faster and if you can't tune or can't afford a bore job and new pistons, just ride it stock. Save you $$ and buy a bigger sled.

bravo-guy said:
does anybody else have anything at all? Re-jetting when the Temp changes is a complete pain in the A$$, so that's not an option. But if I jet 2 sizes up like Hauck recommended, I dont think I would have so much of a chance to burn up my engine. The temps I had listed dont happen on a regular basis, they are usually between -15 to -5 celsius, but sometimes the temps drop and sometimes they rise to +0, usually in the later part of winter, but we also sometimes get a mild spell in the winter and the temps rise, still completely stumped on what to do now, because I was talking to another mechanic and thought of the same thing, it will be alright in the day when the temps are slightly warmer, but then in the night I could go for a ride and burn up my pistons, because the temps drop. Help?

You can change your riding style when the temps dip but it isn't very reliable. Meaning that when you're having fun you might not remember to govern the throttle and minimize WOT. You may also find you're leanest at half or 3/4 throttle which increases your risk of burn down if you plan to baby the throttle during colder temps. Usually best to jet for the extreme and except less performance when temps rise.

Other than some of the self adjusting products like Tempra-flow, you'll need to jet according to temps if you want max performance all the time.

Back