Red Head difference & Viper VS SRX Differences

arfrce

I have a 2002 Yamaha Viper 700 Stock motor an all.

I see in threads now and then people talking about the red top head. I see that some headers (pipes) only fit the red top head. I see blue ones as well, but I think they just paint them to look good.

So what is the difference in the red top head and the stock head?

Also is there an aftermarket head to boost compression for the 02 viper?

Also what is the major difference between the viper and SRX? Thanks jeff

Red head generally refers to the non powervalve 600 and 700 class motors. They came from the factory with red heads whereas the srx motors had blue heads. Srx is 3 separate heads, the redhead motor is a mono style head.

As for differences in the srx and viper motor, the big one is the single pipe vs the factory triples. Lots of other little things as well. Never owned a viper so I'm not much help on them.

Check out peak performance for a viper head. They are available through Bender Racing. This head makes a large improvement in coolant flow and allows you to balance out the compression ratio. The domes are interchangable for what ever compression ratio you choose.

www.benderracing.com

Well I guess a big thing with the vipers were the track was normaly 121" And most people went to 136 or 144. From a mountain max. Atleast that is where my 144" came from. The guy said they also replaced the front suspension with a mountain max cause it is 3 inches narrower. But, i know you can make them narrower by adjusting the suspension arms.
Viper has adjustable hand and thumb warmers. Also dual headlamps. heat exchangers under the rails.

The Viper motor more closely resembles a SRX motor than a Redhead motor. However, there are a number of differences starting at the crank. The Viper has "pork-chop" journals where as the SRX is round. The cylinders are different with different porting. The pistons are different. Already mentioned is the cylinder head differences. The water rail is integral to the Viper head, and separate on the SRX. Stock the SRX had a stronger motor mount up front PTO side. The Viper allowed the engine to flex and the clutches were purposely misaligned a small amount to compensate. The CDI is quite different. There are more intricate differences, but that is off the top of my head.

Basically the Viper engine was a resdeigned SRX engine tuned for a single pipe and less weight. You can read a bit about this on the SledTalk blog by Chris Reid, or in the Tech Update manuals.

On aftermarket heads, yes there are even ones with removeable domes so you can adjust the volume easily. Although I rebuild engines, I am really not an engine builder, so take this for what it is worth. Most respected engine builders will say that you need to do some precise machining to match any higher compression head if you want significant improvements. Don Pizor is one who has very good results with the Viper motors, but there are obviously many other too. However, there are probably more who have poor results. Make sure you line up with the right builder for your info.

On the front end, you can use the Mtn Viper radius and steering rods to make it narrower. Technically the shock bracket is at a different angle on the T-arms to keep it from binding, but some have run mixed without noticing problems.

Last edited:

Back