Ice scratchers

super1c

Super Moderator
I am thinking about running ice scratchers on my vipers. We do mostly river ridind around here. Depending on mother nature the snow gets pretty thin on the ice. Do they help keep the engine cool as advertised? I'm sue they help the sliders. Just looking for a little extra Protection for the sleds when on the ice. Any thoughts? Not much info with the search. Thanks.

yes, they do work. i run them on mountain sleds as sometimes the snow gets thin or crispy. had good luck with the ones from holz or the billetstore. bad luck with the mpi ones. all skid mounted. never heard much positive about the ski mounted scratchers.

snowdad4 said:
yes, they do work. i run them on mountain sleds as sometimes the snow gets thin or crispy. had good luck with the ones from holz or the billetstore. bad luck with the mpi ones. all skid mounted. never heard much positive about the ski mounted scratchers.
X2 for me... Skid mounted waaaaaay better IMO. I have both on my Mnt. Viper and skid mounted ones are superior. I had ski mounted ones and they did not work well enough, so I installed skid mounted ones also. Sled runs 20 or 30 degrees cooler sometimes easily when using scratchers per my temp guage.

On the Attak I run reverse compatible scratchers and i think they are real slick also. They are a steel cable. Can't remeber the name right now.

Mike

Mike

Great to here that, thanks guys. Where are you mounting them? Are you removing one of the front boggies and putting them there or are you mounting directly to the rail? I'm running all 121's with the vipers so not a lot of room like the mountain sleds.

dont have the sleds in front of me right now, but depending on what make you buy, just locate them as per instructions. i didnt mount any in an existing bogie location, drilled and set up where they fit. i mounted some a little rearward from recommended, but i put emphasis on the rear heat exchanger, not the slides. hyfax is cheap, burn downs suck. takes a little to fit them.

mntvipermn said:
On the Attak I run reverse compatible scratchers and i think they are real slick also. They are a steel cable. Can't remember the name right now.

Mike

Mike

as mentioned here, find something that works with reverse (if you have reverse)... I went through three sets before I just stopped buying the replacements... reverse is hard on scratchers unless they are designed for it...

tj..

note that the flexible rubber coated cable style scratchers are about a third or less the efficiency of the spring steel style. as a sled owner without reverse,the point becomes mute. look at the basic idea of the flex style. flopping along the rails. verses spring steel digging in and doing its job: picking and spraying snow. never broke a holz or billetstore, broke several from mpi, all going forward, none reversing. just got to remember to lift those things up if you have reverse.

No reverse. I was looking at the holz and RSI ones. I'm looking at going to the NOVI show here the first week of november and seeing what kinda price i can get there. So far on the web sites im looking at 50 - 60 $ per set. I'm going to run them for sure just what set and from where is the ? now. I'm going with the steel spring style for sure. Thanks guys. chris.

The mounting ? is about my 02 viper as i dont have a rear heat exchanger on it. The 04 does. I like snowdad dont care much about slider wear as i do about burn down.!!

Back