installing springs?

requires an extra set of hands, but zip ties work wonders. not the thin, cheap ones, but the big ones the hvac guys use. compress on the shop floor and pull hard on the zips. sometimes it takes 2 zip ties. hope this helps, works for me.

JeepJimmy said:
need to reinstall springs back on a set of shocks. any tricks to do this without the special shock spring compressor tool?

Worm gear clamps that have threads throughout.

Seperate/unscrew the clamps, position them around two or three of the coils and tighten the clamps to compress the spring. Use two or three clamps evenly spaced.

I use a bit of electrical tape around the coil where the clamp contacts it to prevent chipping the paint.

I've used a bench vice in the past, with the shock between the vice and the wall. The part of the movable jaw that sticks out the back usually is open on the end and bottom. It worked but use at your own risk.

Me, I made my own shock tool since I was to cheap to spend $35 on one.

If you don't have the means of making one, I would sugesst purchasing one.

If those zipties/clamps/vice lets go of that spring and it hits someone, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

maxwell said:
Me, I made my own shock tool since I was to cheap to spend $35 on one.

If you don't have the means of making one, I would sugesst purchasing one.

If those zipties/clamps/vice lets go of that spring and it hits someone, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Agreed, a lot of stored energy in a compressed spring.

I'm always on edge when the spring is compressed. Comes from working on automotive suspensions which typically require standing in front of the spring when compressed. Saw a rookie one time changing shocks on a truck without supporting the lower control arm. Good thing someone wasn't standing at the wheelwell. Talk about stored energy!

When starting out on sleds, I used six or more clamps to spread some of the force out amongest more clamps but over the years I've found three to be more than enough to compress a spring enough to swap shocks.

Use good stainless clamps (not the cheap clothes-dryer kind at HD) and you shouldn't have any issues... but as crew cheif says, use at your own risk.

Back