Trailing arm strengthening kit?

zoom700sx

Hi, I've got a 1997 V-max 700 sx and I know that there were problems with the trailing arms in 97", they were to weak where they attach to the foot wells. I saw the same sled for sale and the owner said it had a Strengthening kit on it? Does anyone know if yamaha sells a kit? Haven't been able to find one. Thanks for any help!

Start doing the snow dance!! LaLaLa

no kit from Yamaha, they just drilled out the rivets that attach the trailing arms to the tunnel and added some heavy duty rivets...he may have made something...

i think bender has a kit that has a stiffener plates and it uses bolts instead of washers if i am not mistaken. ecopter did it to one or both of his pro action chassis sleds. ski

Ski is correct, Bender did sell a trailing arm brace kit, I have one after finding a way to make the left footwell diminish in size, Mr Sled is correct that Yamaha switched the rivets as of 98, but if you get the rivets, you will need a air rivit gun...

use small bolts with washers and nyloc nuts. no more problems and added foot traction ;):D

this problem with the rivets was also discuss among other things in sno-tech magazine issue feb.15 1999 on there 97 sx 700 4000 mile test report the pn#SMB-8CRMO-NO-BT for the rivets. also the bump stop kit was installed. check the black caps at the front of the slide rails if they are loose replace the rivets with 5mm bolts & lock nuts

it is really not a strengthening issue here the rivets pull out where the trailing arm meet the footwell,just they recommend you replace the rivets manly on 97 sx's i have a 98 and have had no issues with the rivets

I haven't noticed that with my MM either. It just likes to eat trailing arms. I bent 2 last year.

yes use stainless steel bolts, you might have to drill em out a lil but its a lot stronger

Back