Corrected gearing for Viper-S studded?

Viper Sniper

It looks like I may have to use 8T drivers to get adequate safe clearance running Roetin 1.18 Hornets in the 1.25" Ripsaw track. Question: Does anyone have a gear ratio chart showing the corrected gear combination for switching from the 9T to the 8T drivers. Stock ratio is 1.73:1 with 22/38 gears. What gear combo should I install to keep this same ratio with the smaller drivers?

it says your going to run 1.18" studs on a 1.25" track, unless the stud is measured funny, those studs will not work for traction or braking like they are meant to unless they reach above the track lug heighth. just an observation. ski

pick length is all f ed up - you have to add .2 to the dimension which means it will stick over the lug by .125 (1/8"). That (1.18 woodies) is the longest pick you can run safely in that sled - but you can run it with tunnel & heat x changer protectors - with the stock drivers.

You cant run a studded 1 1/4 track on a viper ...unless you notch the track for the protectors or you go to smaller drivers and then gear up 2 on the top to bring it back. Waldo is correct on the stud length. Depepending on MFG the 1.18 stud will stick past the lug at .125 to .1875.

Ya - I forgot about the notch thing - i just picked up one of these 04 viper s'es - looks like a good sled - hopefuly better than the 02 -time for some mods!!

you change the gearing .2 when you go from 9 to 8 lugs. So if you have a 1.73 you need 1.53

Hey 800, how about this set-up

Going from 121" to 136" Ripsaw on my 02 Viper. No studs. Current gearing is 22/39 SX style gears and chain. Have a 23T upper as spare. Cannot get a 38T lower in that style. Trails and lakes in MN at 1,300ft.

Gonna keep the 9T stock drivers, but with SLP pipes, you think it will ratchet?

Tom D.

Back