Carbide Length ?

moab11

VIP Member
I am looking into new carbides for my 02 viper with a 1.25" ripsaw. I am wondering if I should go with Woody's 6" or 8" carbides?

I do ride quite aggresively on the trails, so the extra carbide might be better, but on their website they have stud recommendations for all of their carbides, so it doesn't give me much of an idea of what to run.

Also In one of my catalogues, they have the 10" carbides for the viper mountain sleds, but don't list them for the regular vipers. Is there a difference in the skis, or is it just too much carbide for the track?

Jeff

is that with studs? and if so how many?

I used to have 8" carbides on my 1997 Polaris Indy 500 and they worked great but I never seemed to have enough braking power, so that is why I was wondering about the lenght on the Yami.

Jeff

Here at CBperformanceparts, we make carbide from 4-10" I would recommend, for the ease of turning, 8-10 for sure. Our carbide is the HARDEST carbide on the market and therefor lasting longer then any other carbide on the market. The reason our carbide is so much stronger then any other brand on the market is because we run less colbalt where as woody's and studboy run more colbalt. By the way, the more colbalt you run in carbide the softer it is but if you run to little of it, it becomes so hard that it breaks. We have found through many tests that running our amount of colbalt is optimum. I will soon post pictures of our carbide on a 2000 srx that has been riddin on for 800 miles and you can notice that it has barely worn the edge off. I will also very soon post some videos of our carbide being driven on the road to show how sharp it is and how well you turn. I ran 10" carbide on my srx last year on our lake . A person on our lake who races vintage sled always plows off a race track. So I took my sled over there and went through the turn on bare ice and I nearly rolled my sled because the carbide didn't let up. These carbide really cut and we guarantee it. Let me know if anyone is interested and we make these carbide for every yamaha sled from 97-present. We also sell carbide for other sleds too. We stand behind these products 100%. If you have any other questions please ask me or PM me. But as for carbide length with the ripsaw track. We always tell people it doesn't matter the about the sled, 10" carbide is always the best for every sled. It is the difference from turning your handle bars with 4" carbide 30 degrees compared to 10" in which you only turn 5 degrees to do the same turn. I will get those pictures out asap as well as the video. You cannot go wrong with buying our products. The 4" carbide we make is $65 a pair, the 6 " is 75, the 8" is 95 and the 10" is 110 per pair. We also run a 60 degree angle on these sleds. Let me know

Last edited:
That is some good food for thought. I guess the more carbide the better then?
I guess I can relate to this when I was running the 8" carbides on my stock indy 500, and it handled pretty well, except for the braking.

BTW anyother recommendations or thoughts?

Jeff

Back