Really cool project!!!

Well the mini-baja car is running now. Only 2 problems experienced so far.

#1: Sheared off coupling most likely due to misalignment.

#2: There seems to be a flow problem in our system and our top speed is suffering greatly because of it.

Even though its slow , this thing is a blast to drive, Ill do my best to get some pictures soon.

I have danfoss and they are heavy mothers also. What size motors do you have? mine are 5.4 in^3 and I have BDP-21L pumps. My motors are not wheel motors I wanted the abiliity to change the final drive gear ratio.

Well our project was completed to comply with the majority of SAE competition rules, this Thursday, just in time for our first "race". It was a 2 part endurance race, hosted by Michigan Technological University, that included 2 1.5 hour endurance races, where your laps are counted for each race, and the team with the most laps at the end wins, etc. Since this is our first time doing anything with this car in competition, it was semi-intimidating pulling up with our sled on a flat 2-place snowmobile trailer with a tarp covering it, when the other teams have their 20000$ race trailers, and Chrysler donated Ram 2500 pulling it. Once we got our car going it wasn’t too bad. All of the other teams seemed to be impressed with our hydraulic system, and that we actually got it to work reliably. The first race went flawlessly for us, with a very broad size range of drivers, anywhere from 140-220#. In the first half of the race, we were in 2nd place, missing first by about 12 laps with the leader having 60. For the second race, the only repair/adjustment we made was to soften up the spring preload on our "crap" viper shocks (more to come on this later). Well in the second round of the race, we seemed to be doing great with the exception of a loose bolt on a front spindle, and a tie rod that almost backed itself off of its threads completely; thankfully, both were noticed before further damage occurred. All was going smoothly, and we were almost a shoe in for second place overall, as the next closest team was about 12 laps behind us or more. Then things went bad fast, when we must have had a rear shock mount bolt come loose, and put some kind of weird force on the shock shaft, bending it to nearly 90 degrees. It was pretty ugly, and we were forced to exit the race. Well it turns out that us missing the last 15 minutes, the 3rd place team passed us up to take our 2nd place position. We ended up finishing in 3rd, which I think is really good, considering we were going up against teams with experience in this competition, working on their cars with a $20000/year budget, when our team completed a car for under ~$3500. Our car was by far the slowest car attending, and by far the heaviest car there, but reliability has proven to be the key to our success in this design project. BTW...Our 600# + rider car that tops out at ~22mph does not do well over jumps at all; actually it was pretty much horrible for it. Should be able to get some pictures linked soon.

My first year at Baja there were plenty of hydro cars, none did well. one team had a 10 gal cooler mount even with the top of the frame. I tried to talk my team into trying electric, no go.
I like people trying different, no one want to see 30 identical cars putsing around
the frame looks very famililar. don't know it MTU is still using one like it, but did all my time there 95-99 I think

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures of our team and that poor shock.

Attachments

• ViperShock.jpg
    ViperShock.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11
  • ViperShock1.jpg
    ViperShock1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 11
  • NMUbaja.jpg
    NMUbaja.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
In June, our car went to its first ever midwest MiniBaja competition. I was not able to attend the competition, but our team placed ~125 out of 150 teams, so it was far from a win. Despite that fact, I think that everybody involved with this team looks at the competition as a success as we started the organization with very little in terms of monetary support, and put together a reliable vehicle, and now have a base design for future years to build off of. I believe that next year, the team will begin to focus their efforts on removing weight from the car and finding a good distribution of weight between the front and rear tires. Here are a few pictures of the completed car at the Dayton competition.

http://myweb.nmu.edu/~sae/NMU6.JPG
http://myweb.nmu.edu/~sae/NMU7.JPG
http://myweb.nmu.edu/~sae/NMU8.JPG

Looks like a fun project. Next year you might want to try running that motor as a generator and run with electric motors with a gell battery under the seat.

Back