Temperature limits for the NUVI 550

4myride

I purchased a new Nuvi 550 to replace my old GPS V for this upcoming year. I could not find any specs for temperature limits so we ask Garmin and here is there response.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Glad to assist you here. All units have a liquid crystal screen which can freeze and break. We don't have a unit that is rated for temperature's below freezing.

A lot of users do purchase the Nuvi 550 for snowmobiling in short usage situations but it still has the same screen with the same limitations

Has anyone had any issues with freezing or with breaking the screen??

4myride said:
I purchased a new Nuvi 550 to replace my old GPS V for this upcoming year. I could not find any specs for temperature limits so we ask Garmin and here is there response.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Glad to assist you here. All units have a liquid crystal screen which can freeze and break. We don't have a unit that is rated for temperature's below freezing.

A lot of users do purchase the Nuvi 550 for snowmobiling in short usage situations but it still has the same screen with the same limitations

Has anyone had any issues with freezing or with breaking the screen??

I've run 2 garmin 276c (hard wired) for 5 years with no issues to -35f. A few in our group run the 60 series and their screens turn black from the cold but work fine again when warmed.

rotax said:
I've run 2 garmin 276c (hard wired) for 5 years with no issues to -35f. A few in our group run the 60 series and their screens turn black from the cold but work fine again when warmed.

I also run the Garmin 276c, at -30c (without factoring windchill) - it worked flawlessly!!!!!!

As per the NUVI 550, Garmin states that the operating temperature range is from -4°F to 131°F.

Uber-Moto said:
I also run the Garmin 276c, at -30c (without factoring windchill) - it worked flawlessly!!!!!!

As per the NUVI 550, Garmin states that the operating temperature range is from -4°F to 131°F.

The 276c is 5°F to 140°F so the nuvi 550 should be ok.

Back