1996 Ovation ........ Good or bad?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I found a 96 Ovation 340 for sale in an online classified ad and would like to know if these were good sleds or not.Ad states it has a completely new engine not rebuilt with only about 70kms on it (45mls give or take) electric start and a new battery last year.The only pics of the sled in the ad don't give great close ups of it but it looks to be in decent shape,windshield is in tact hood doesn't appear cracked but I can't tell from the pics.I want to look at it but want some feedback as to what issues these sleds had and what I should look for.I guess with a new engine really the only things to go over would be chassis and track/skid stuff.

No major issues FB that i know of,,great little sleds if price is right and it checks out mean and clean pull the trigger.

I'm looking to pick up a sled for my 12 year old son and this would be ideal for him,I thought about a Bravo but they are hard to come by around here plus the Ovation is a 340 so it will last him for a few years.

they only really have one quirk and that is the carb. that one will have the (insert apropriate swear word) single-double barrel carb same as my et410. what it does is when it is cold, you have to turn the idle up to keep it running. once warmed up, you then need to turn it down or the sled runs away from you whne you stop. dealer has had no luck fixing it and there is nowhere i can get a breakdown pic/tuning manual for it anywhere. going to try some stuff this year and see what i get for results.

otherwise an awsome little sled that i am shure he will enjoy.

make sure the track is in good shape also, finding a 109" track isn't too easy. Our family has on that blew a track (9000 miles on it) and we tossed in a Phazer II skid and 121" track and made a tunnel extension for it.

If your running lots of packed trails stud the track. On my dads because it is so light it seems to catch everything with the ski's up front and can catch you sleeping real easy. Studded ours and it runs night and day now.

jake

Back