Attack angle / powder question

vice108

It seems as though I always hear that our Yamaha's aren't very good in powder conditions compared to the other 3. The attack angle of the track is often listed as the reason. What does that mean - and if it's a problem why hasn't Yamaha changed it? I'm guessing that like most performance issuses, if they changed it to make it better in powder then you would lose performance some where else. It's not an issue for me here in Maine with our wide groomed trail - but I'm curious.

Thanks

Vice108

:rocks:

IF you are running a proper deep mountain rear skid, attack angle means very little. All the big hype about attack angle is just that, hype.
Grape- they dropped to 17 degree in 01 when they went to the new Mountain max. My sled is 11 degree, just fyi.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
I think I need to get over and pick my trailer up before I see that thing mounted on it for a tool box! Dont know if you are seeing what im seeing..ITS SNOWING IN IOWA!

The baby Bunk is 600 cdn, he said to tell you he has an air-ride fifth wheel, and te headache rack too, 1500 takes everything.

Call me at 888-390-5550 toll free.

I assume the only difference between Mountain Performance extensions Option #'s 1, 2 & 3 is attack angle? Or do they drop the entire suspension more for track to tunnel clearance?

Vice,
The 97-99 MM had the steep attack angle, same suspension setup as any of the 97-99 sleds just with 136 rails and different transfer rod spacers. In 00, Yamaha relocated the skid back to go to the 141 track and decreased attack angle. The complaint now is that the weight transfer is too small compared to the other 3 manufacturers. Going to adjustable transfer rods or eliminating them with the Transfer enhancement kit from Mountain Performance (or make your own) is said to fix that and make it more like the other 3.

SledBoy,
The MPI longtrack kits do have the option to relocate the skid back. I bought a 99 MM with MPI 141 update kit on it and the skid mounts are all moved back about 1 1/2 inches from the stock location, doesn't look like the mounts were lowered. I also had a 97 600 XTC that I put a Hartman 136 kit on before they had a relocation option available. I would use the relocation option if doing it again as it does make a difference in off trail performance.

Al

WrdAl,
So moving the skid mounts back effectively changes the attack angle because the driveshaft is permanent unledd you change the sprocket. Right?

Just so everyone knows, you dont have to buy any special kits to move the skid back. I ran a 136 rail with a 141 track, just dropped the skid 1 1/2" and back 2 1/2", and it worked great. Dont get sucked into the buy this buy that scams.
The entire point of it all is keeping the track on top of the snow and to stop trenching. If you try this with a SRX you get a bulldozer, more needs to be done. We had to go with drop extensions, to get the front end up, the OHLINS shocks are so short there was no other option.

Last edited:
SledBoy,

Changing sprockets won't change the angle, it'll change the clearance at the front of the tunnel for longer paddles. Doing a "drop and roll" will affect the angle as the driveshaft is moved down and back in the tunnel.

KbxSrx is right. You really don't need somebody's kit to do this. But I'm willing to pay for someone else's experience and developement time for ease of installation. To see the benefits of skid relocation look at Hartman Inc. They make good stuff & I'd highly recommend their kits.

Al

Last edited:
Sean

I live in Westbrook. Where are you ?

P.S. Sure wish we would get some damn snow !

angle

By going to 8 tooth instead of 9's will affect the approach angle. The 8's are smaller by 1 inch which will make the angle just a little steeper . Ken

It is our newest EKHOLM suspension.

call me (toll free, anywhere in North America)

888-390-5550

Back