Viper stator...........

journeyman

Has anyone had to change out their viper stator yet? If so what was your symptoms? Just want to see what kind of problems people had before hand to see if my situation relates at all.

thanks!!

What symptoms are you having?

I would test it before I thought about replacing it. Also check the wiring harness under the motor and go through all wires carefully

2003 viper er, changed mine out last year, headlights would run dim when i put the hand warmers on. put a new one in and no more problems- i did check all the wire harness's

Well I'd say I first noticed a drop in performance (top end) a couple years ago. Last year I found a stuck powervalve so that was cleaned up. When I rode in the UP after that was done again I noticed a less than normal top end experience. I've had this thing a long time and know what it should do. Anyways what also happened was while riding at night every time I grabbed a handful of brake the lights would dim so low that the tach display would go dead. It did this for about 10 miles and then it mysteriously went away. Several thoughts have come to mind. Wire harness rub through, bad stator and also powervalves out of adjustment (for the top end issue). The sled has around 7000 miles on it now. It was re-ringed last year too. I may have a few things going on.

Mine did this same thing, 99.99% its your stator. I had all the same symptoms, dim lights, tach went out when applying brake, or switching between high/low beam. Mine would also bog/not have great top end when the hand warmers were on, probably the low voltage was affecting the cdi.

You'll need a fly-wheel puller, a buddy to slip something through the primary clutch and hold it when you start tightening the puller. Also (I know I said this in the other thread you got a link to, but they strip very easily!), be careful with the phillip head screws. Oh, and mine had about 1900 miles when it went.

mod-it said:
Mine did this same thing, 99.99% its your stator. I had all the same symptoms, dim lights, tach went out when applying brake, or switching between high/low beam. Mine would also bog/not have great top end when the hand warmers were on, probably the low voltage was affecting the cdi.

You'll need a fly-wheel puller, a buddy to slip something through the primary clutch and hold it when you start tightening the puller. Also (I know I said this in the other thread you got a link to, but they strip very easily!), be careful with the phillip head screws. Oh, and mine had about 1900 miles when it went.

Wow, low miles.......but being you have a mountain model and your given location I can see where hours are more prevalent than miles on a MT. sled.

thanks for the info!!

anyone know what a stator cost new?

staggs65 said:
port yamaha
1 STATOR ASSY
8EK-81410-10-00 (replaces 8EK-81410-00-00) 1 $197.01

That is also an "updated" stator number for the 2000 - 2002 SRX stators. I have been suspicious of the stator on my 2002 SRX, since I aquired it, as it has suffered from poor top speed numbers[even when it was still a 121"] so I have updated the stator among many other things during the off season overhaul. In my area there has been a few 2000 - 2002 SRXs that just don't have any legs over 100 mph...mine was one of them and I have been diligently working on it, will see how I have made out when the riding conditions improve!

journeyman said:
Thanks YamerDown!! How many miles were on it when it went.......or Km I guess being you are in Canada?
Don't remember exactly, but its not exactly what I would call high. These are becoming very common on aging Vipers, but no one seems willing to admit that yet. I'd be willing to bet most Vipers will have issues in the next 2 years if not already.

Viper Stator

Add me to the list of Viper stator failures. Mine is a 2003 with 7500 miles. Mine runs ok but the tack and display goes away when you touch the brake or hit the high beams. Did this a few times last year but this year the midrange and top end is not there. Feels like a miss on acceleration due to the lower than spec voltage hitting the CDI. My replacement stator is waiting for me at the dealer and I am going to install it this weekend after I pull the suspension out of the APEX.

Replaced a stator on my srx because of major power loss. That was the only thing different couldn't hold rpm. Didn't have the slightest idea what it was had to take to Hauck. Now i know what to look for because it happened again but it was because i damaged it pulling the flywheel

Bring a dead thread back to life.

2002 Viper. Had the same issues as stated above. The low beam was very low and when i hit the brake lever the tach resets and i lose all headlights. Sled seems to idle fine. I performed a complete rub through investigation (Seat, engine harness, cab). I checked all the cables and found nothing but oil on them. I then proceeded to unplug the brake light (Changed high/low beam and tach would reset) and cab (Hit brake light and the cab would reset) separately, same issues. I then suspected the stator. Replaced it with a used unit from a parted sled who didn't have any electrical issues (Ohm tested before installation).

I still have the same problem. What should i check next. CDI, voltage regulator, ...? I'm at a lost for ideas now.

Thanks,

I would still say short some where. Check the harness through the seat, under gas tank. Make sure coils are grounded well and all that part of the harness is good.

Did you ohm check both stators? Never know when one will a the bed so even though it worked before it may have been week or corrosion. Did you clean up all the surfaces?

I also had a problem with my stator only one headlight worked and if you pulled the brake lever the tack would go dead sled ran fine just no light. Replaced the stator everything is fine now put 1400miles on it this winter with no problems 2004 viper s.

Here's how I check for a rub through, either on a car,truck or snowmobile. I fire up the vehicle in question up on a moonless night,in the garage or at the very least a darker place. Take a squirt bottle and set it on the finest mist setting. Mist any suspected areas and look for some arcing & sparking. I do this to my spark plug wires on my trucks when they are suspect.

Back