Help, can't remove upper Gear Nut

SledBoy

VIP Member
Help, I can't remove upper Gear Nut in the chain case.
The jack shaft turns when parking break is on. I even had someone hold the hand brake and it still turned when I turned the nut.

I am turning the nut counter clockwise just like I did on the lower gear nut on my Viper

SledBoy said:
Help, I can't remove upper Gear Nut in the chain case.
The jack shaft turns when parking break is on. I even had someone hold the hand brake and it still turned when I turned the nut.

I am turning the nut counter clockwise just like I did on the lower gear nut on my Viper

I once had trouble on my old Vmax-4 on 1st removal, I had to use some heat CAREFULLY and SPARINGLY on the nut itself all the while using a 1/2 drive Breaker bar with the brake applied. Never seen one that tight before or since.

A high torque impact usually does the trick also.

Stick a screw driver throught one of the holes in the brake rotor, and let it hit on the chain case. That will stop the jackshaft from turning.

Wolfman

hit it with a impact :), if you dont have an impact, tap on the ratchet with a hammer...the small hits from the hammer may crack it loose.

that nut was waaaay too tight roy. check the manual and torque it to spec, i have never seen one that wouldnt come off with the brake lever being held. the bar in the rotor is not a bad idea, just be patient so you dont break something else. ski

I had to use a u joint adaper to get my hi power/low gear impact in the tight space and it broke the U joint adapter. So, I put a screw driver in the slots between the platers and did it w/ a 1/2" drive ratchet.

THANKS GUYS!

Back