1989 Ovation Bogs on takeoff.....

Shafner79

....but rips when your moving. It seems that if you easy in the throttle then mash it it goes fine, but if you try to go up a hill from a stop or just go hard from a stop it wants to die. It also seems like it only does this ince it warms up.

Any ideas?

Possibly a worn belt. Check that first and then move on to carb cleaning.

Check your primary clutch for wear in the components and replace the spring.

Yamaha uses there own clutch, so you will need the spring from them. If engagement speed and full shift speed are correct, then the spring is not your problem.

The belt must sit flush with the top of the pully. If it does not, adjust the shimming inside of the secondary clutch. My preferance is to remove the 2 one mm shims and replace them with the 1.5 washer that backs the circlip. Use one of the 1mm shims to back up the circlip.

Also, that is a butterfly carb if there is any restriction to the fuel meetering holes at the butterfly, you will get a mid range bog.

Mechanics used to lean out this unique carb without understanding how it worked. ;) then again we still don't understand how this 2 barrel carb actualy works

To me it doesn't really seem clutch related. It sounds like the motor. It also sounds like it is sucking too much air??? If you pin the throttle from a stop it bogs, but if you feather it or even just keep hitting it and letting off, it revs right up and goes.

I did notice that the fuel screws are not turned out to the spec settings...I will adjust those and see what that does.

Well I adjusted the pilot screws to 1 3/4 turns, check the wheels, clutches, slides.....everything looked good. I also adjusted the oil cable free play and now it runs 100% better.....no more bog, idles better.....I don't think it could run much better now!

Now the Ovation is done....SRX parts come tuesday....hopefully be on the trails in Potter County by Firday!
;)!

Shafner79 said:
Well I adjusted the pilot screws to 1 3/4 turns, check the wheels, clutches, slides.....everything looked good. I also adjusted the oil cable free play and now it runs 100% better.....no more bog, idles better.....I don't think it could run much better now!

Now the Ovation is done....SRX parts come tuesday....hopefully be on the trails in Potter County by Firday!
;)!
Are these the same butterfly carbs used on the Phazer 500's? I've got the same bogging issue and the air screws on top are out only 1 turn. Where did you find the tuning specs for these carbs?

RK-SXVIPER700 said:
Are these the same butterfly carbs used on the Phazer 500's? I've got the same bogging issue and the air screws on top are out only 1 turn. Where did you find the tuning specs for these carbs?

I believe they ar ethe same. Got the info from the tech section.....heres a link.

TY Tech

Brit44Aldo said:
The belt must sit flush with the top of the secondary clutch.
If it does not, adjust the shimming inside of the secondary clutch.
My preferance is to remove the 2 one mm shims and replace them with the 1.5 washer that backs the circlip.
Use one of the 1mm shims to back up the circlip.

Also, that is a butterfly carb if there is any restriction to the fuel meetering holes at the butterfly,
you will get a mid range bog.

Mechanics used to lean out this unique carb without understanding how it worked. ;)
then again we still don't understand how this 2 barrel carb actualy works

I can not take the secondary clutch off on my kids Ovation to make adjustments and so on,
It seems to have seized on the axle....
How do I get it off ?

I have tried with 3 different butterfly carbs on the Ovation but with no luck :o| :o|
..so I removed it and put on a Mikuni VM-34 throttle carburetor on it instead !
Have worked flawless since 2003.

I know I had issues getting my 340 carb tuned last year. Hope all is well when I tear into it this year. Maybe this weekend.

Back