What a bone head move I made today

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I have a new piston and rings for my SRX that I've been meaning to put in now for a year so that I have all 3 new,well 2 with a years running,but I wanted to do it for peace of mind.The piston in question isn't bad really just shows signs of blow by,weak rings,and the top of the piston on the exhaust side is a tiny bit burnt off,not much just enough to bother me.Well today I figured I'd tackle it I mean if I went at it I could have it apart and back together in a couple of hours and be done with it.Well I already had the exhaust off so that cut down on time so I snap the mag side and centre cylinder off as it's the centre piston that I want to replace,grab a pick tool to get the circlip out and think to myself "I should put a rag around the connecting rod so nothing falls into the base".I always do this and I'm sure everyone else does it too I mean you can never be too careful.So I have the circlip just about out and figure I'll grab it with my fingers and catch it.Well I'm sure you all can figure out what happened next,yes it came popping out and guess where it went,right into the centre of the base down under the middle connecting rod.Well after a round of curses and expletives I think to myself IDIOT!!!! now I have to yank the engine out and separate the base just to get that little circlip out.Well I calm down a little and think get a flashlight and see if it's visible at all;not on the side it went in on but then I shine the light on the back side (facing the carbs) and see what I think is the clip.Hope is renewed!!! I grab a telescopic magnet with a small end and thread it down to where I think the clip is and I hear a little clink.Was that what I think it was?I pull the magnet back out and there it is.Whooooooooooooo what a sigh of relief.Needless to say the next thing I did was wrap a rag around so nothing else could fall in.
Just a lesson for anyone reading this you can never be too careful.

Lol..boy that was a close one,it could have went deeper, thats why one should never rush a job no matter how small.

so how did the rest go?? back up running?

LOL No not running yet I have to get a piston pin puller from my cousin the pin is just a bit tight besides I'm waiting on a power valve and cable to come from Viperking.I yanked them out the other night to find one was just about pulled through and the end had worn itself into the valve at such an angle that I couldn't slide the cable end out of the valve.Had to snip the cable off and now I need to send the valve out to have an insert machined into it.I always wanted a spare one anyway LOL.

Lets hope so,the fiance doesn't seem to think the way I do in that I want to upgrade a few years to a newer sled like an 02 SRX or an 04 Viper S which are very hard to come by.She seems to think that we need to spend the money on the house.What's up with that anyway?LOL

Last edited:

Back