TSS damper lengths...

Joatmon

Anybody know if the dampers in the TSS are different lengths between the Phazer II's and mid-90's VMax? My brother got intimate with a Doug Fir while riding my wifes sled and smoked the strut cover and bent the damper. I found some VMAX replacements but am having trouble finding the OEM #'s to confirm fitment...

Any TSS masters listening?

Many thanks...

Go to the "Online Parts Catalog" on the home page here.

The front T.S.S. Struts from the 1994-96 Vmax 5-600cc sleds will give you 2" more travel ! You need the longer shock tower covers, springs and aluminum knuckles along with the struts. You can find them fairly reasonable on E-bay, any parts forum or salvage yards ! Genuine Yamaha GYT Kit struts were an upgrade for the Vmax 5-600 sleds with adjustable dampening, rebound and slightly longer travel ! Yamaha part # SMA-8CA91-10-00

The 94-96 Vmax 5-600cc sleds had 7.2” of travel although a inch or so was used up in set in or suspension sag (Bender made a kit to get back and use this lost travel. The struts would work for the Exciter, Phazer II’s or any Yamaha (with the execption of the Vmax4) that had enough clearance for the longer Strut covers.

Last edited:
what about the bracket welded on the side of the strut tower on the original set up??? where would u bolt the cowlinmg bracket to, if it wasnt on the v-max strut covers....which there isn't ....... just a thought.

that what i thought....I was at the used parts store the other day looking at struts . I was looking for my exciter sx struts....apparently they are one off's only fitting that model....took a look around and wow, there are many lenght s and even diffrent diameters of these struts for yamaha.... I must have had 6 diffrent lenghts and some were diffrent diameters......good luck...Nobody seems to know what size fits what. if you go to a yamaha microfiche site all the numbers for as many models as I had time to look up were all diffrent. Someone please correct me . I'm also cunfused as to what size fits what sled.

Joatmon said:
Anybody know if the dampers in the TSS are different lengths between the Phazer II's and mid-90's VMax? My brother got intimate with a Doug Fir while riding my wifes sled and smoked the strut cover and bent the damper. I found some VMAX replacements but am having trouble finding the OEM #'s to confirm fitment...

Any TSS masters listening?

Many thanks...

which side and what year I may have one.

93 sx rh side..........but i bought two new ones from yamaha...still waiting for them to show up, only been 7 weeks so far...coming from Japan. I guess I shouldn't complain.....at least they are still avail...lol...Thanks anyways...

Back