painting side panels

z28rx1

does anybody know if and how you can paint the side plastic side panels on a rx1 to change the color? if so what primers should be used?

well i dont know about what primers to use but you will have to have an additive put in the primer and the paint so if the panels get hit or flex for any reason the paint wont crack or chip. something simular to the old nose cone on a 69gto judge had the flexable nose or dura bumper.i would call a paint shop and ask them about this additive i know its out there just cant recall the name of the product.hope this helps

Last edited:
Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made to paint plastic and with proper prep its real tough. ( only prep is make sure it's clean, dry and warm. no sanding or primer) I painted my plastic lawn furniture this summer with it and it survived without a scratch. The table looks new even after people sliding plates and beer bottles, rain, bird shit, etc. They have a stock blue that looks close to Yamaha blue and it's only $5 a can. You can get at anywhere that sells a good selection of spray paints, hope this helps.

painting textured plastic

I wouldn't even try to go down that road. I know of many guys that have tried to paint ATV fenders and it comes off every time. The plastic they use is very greasy and slimmy. It doesn't accept adhesion promotor well at all. I have been in the automotive paint biz for many years and I wouldn't try it. I sell a product for raw plastic that you can prime a rubber ball with it and let the kids play with it and it doesn't come off. BUT, a snowmobile bellypan goes through expansion cycles from the different temperature changes, not to mention the vibration and abuse they take. If the plasic contracts too much more than the paint does it shears the paint film off. There is a reason the color is injected into the plasic. There are a couple of plastics out there that just aren't paintable according to General Motors. Like the Avalanche cladding for one. GM has a bulletin out saying it's un-paintable. Also some plastics will have the mold release agent blown in with the plastic, therefore you can't get it cleaned off because it will continue to seep out of the plasitc. I could go on and on about the plastic painting procedures, but the bottom line is if Yamaha can tell you what kind of plastic it is, you can tell if you can paint it with good sucess or not. Somebody send me an old bellypan, and I'll do some testing with a few products. I just thought of some more stuff, but I think i almost out of room.

Back