Need help with clutch on my 03 SX Viper

DetroitViper

I just purchased a 03 SX viper and have never rode it yet. I've been riding Yamaha since I was 4 years old. I have never really done any mods to any of my sled excpet for small things. I want this viper to take off like a rocket with out hurting the top end and still be able to aggrsive trail riding. I need help with the clutch what would be a good way to go that isn't to expensive? Do I need a rear heat exchanger? Is 144 studs enough? Also is a silcener or rumble pack the way to go? Thank You ;):D

DetroitViper,
Congrats on the purchase of your Viper, I think you will really like it. I have a 2002 Viper and have had some of the same thoughts you are having now. Be sure to check out the SRX/Viper forum as well since just about everything has been answered on that forum as well. I will list some things I have done to my sled and you can take what you need to from my advice. As Mr.Sled noted above, also check out the technical pages. First your clutching issues, the cheapest quick update you can do is the 53/43 Helix (available from Dalton and other companies) and the green secondary spring wrapped to 70 or 80 pounds. The spring will be available from your dealer. I think somebody on the SRX/Viper forum mentioned using the stock spring as well but I don't recall what post it was from. I tried this combination and thought the performance increase was fair but not great. I did have a little over rev with this combination. I then tried a Heavy Hitter clutch kit that I purchased from Simons CPR. It features adjustable weights that Jeff had already set-up for the Viper. In conjunction with the Heavy Hitters, I geared my sled down from the stock 22/40 ratio to a 22/38 ratio. This clutch/gearing combo, I think, is great and fits my aggressive trail riding style. The gear change allows for a quicker acceleration response with no sacrifice to top end. I am no clutching expert and I am sure there is an ultimate set-up out there somewhere. I spent a little time adjusting the weights to cure just a slight over rev on the top end by adding a little weight to the center of the weight. Second, the rear heat exchanger is only necessary if you encounter a lot of marginal snow conditions and mandatory if you decide to pipe it. I put a heat exchanger in just for the extra cooling when I got into a low snow situation. My overheat light came on a few times in those conditions but never when there was adequate snow on the side exchangers. Thirdly, 144 studs is plenty. I use Roetin studs and am pleased with their durability. My stud pattern uses the entire track width. Some guys like to use only the center belt, it's your preference. Lastly, save your money when it comes to a silencer/rumble pack.
My experience with them (MBRP specifically) is they only save weight not add horsepower. Good luck with your sled.

Back