Help!!! My SRX is F'd!!!

burg226

So i went away for the weekend with the guys. Get to our spot, unload and prepare for a weekend of riding.

Start up the sled and the Temp warning light doesn't flash 3 times to let me know it's good. It didn't flash at all. Then i noticed the back light on the tach wasn't working but the tach was still functioning. Then i start riding it and it's running like garbage. I also don't think the power valves were working at all (coudn't hear then when i reduced the RPM's with the choke). It also wouldn't go over 120 km/h on the lake or go over 7500 rpm. Sounded like it wanted to bog and die. The sled was running mint a week ago and none of these probs were here.

It's a 2001 SRX 700S.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

i had the same type of problems and my harness was rubbed. i fixed it by wrapping the wires and relocating it

madzx2 said:
i had the same type of problems and my harness was rubbed. i fixed it by wrapping the wires and relocating it

What do you need to do to get at the harness?

remove the airbox check wires around steering post and surrounding areas. mine rubbed through. crazy weird symptoms like u have mentioned. hey, at least it wont be an expensive fix. make sure u look very carefully

also under the engine where the harness goes under the coolant hose, that one you need to unplug the harness up front and fish it through under the engine to inspect. you can either tie a string to it before pulling it out to pull it back under the engine or re-route it across the carb rack and between the engine and clutch on the chassis

AND I SEE YOU HAVE A 01. THIS PROBLEM WAS SUPPOSE TO BE FIXED AFTER 2000 ACCORDING TO THE YAMAHA TECH UPDATE I HAVE. BUT THERE WAS A NOTE AT BOTTOM OF THE PAGE THAT SAID SOME 01 SRX COULD STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM. I FOUND MINE BY STEERING POST AND ALSO UNDER COOLANT HOSE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

So if a rub through is the case, i just fix the wire and re-wrap them in e-tape? Any other recommendations?

So i took the airbox and pipes off last night, disconnected the 2 wires by the hood and tried to start feeding them up from under the motor. I get it to move about 6 inches and the harness stops pulling out. Is there anything holding the harness in place closer to the back of the motor that i wouldn't have seen? I moved 2 or 3 clips on the floor of the belly pan. Are there any more closer to the back of the motor? I'm pulling pretty hard now and trying to wiggle it out but it won't move any further. I really don't want to tear the wires or the harness.

I also had the same issue in the past. One of the wires that comes directly off the stator broke right at the stator.

maybe this will help. heres some pics with an engine removed. there are these 2 under the engine
DSCN1732.jpg

and this one under the hose, you can see the typical rub thru in area in this pic
DSCN1733.jpg

So i finally got the harness out. This is what i found. 2 Rub throughs (wire still attached) and 1 crushed wire (wire still attached). What do i do with the rub throughs and what do i do for the crushed wire? Should i just tape them up and put a new sleeve over both wires?

Also now that i have it all out and can hook it up over the carb rack, should i hook it back up and run the sled to see if this fixed the problem of the wires grounding out prior to putting everything back on hoping it's fixed it?

just make sure all wires are separated,tape very good each wire separate then wrap the harness, then put some wire loom over the harness and stick it back under neath.

burg226 said:
So i finally got the harness out. This is what i found. 2 Rub throughs (wire still attached) and 1 crushed wire (wire still attached). What do i do with the rub throughs and what do i do for the crushed wire? Should i just tape them up and put a new sleeve over both wires?

Also now that i have it all out and can hook it up over the carb rack, should i hook it back up and run the sled to see if this fixed the problem of the wires grounding out prior to putting everything back on hoping it's fixed it?

As long as none or very few of the strands are broken, clean the wires real well with carb clean to ensure anything you use to reseal them will adhear. If you find a broken strand or two cut the broke strand back to the insulation and ensure they won't poke through and short.

Vinyl electrical tape will work fine to reseal or you can use liquid tape or Plasti-dip (used to coat tool handles) or cut, solder and shrink tube with double walled adheasive shrink tubing. Finish up with a protective cover like split convolute or vacuum/fuel hose split lengthwise and install at areas that were rubbing.

Since you'd have to install the pipes to run it and then take them off again to install the harness I'd install the repaired harness provided you went over it real well. Or you could disconnect the harness at both ends and check continutity of each wire. You can be pretty sure you found your problem.

Do it right. Pull the motor to gain access. It's a good opportunity to clean and polish underneath. make sure before you start you have a clutch alignment tool to line the engine back up. I had an 01 that had the same problems. I pulled the motor and inspected the wires. Didn't find a problem. next day looked MUCH closer. Son of a gun. Rub-through. And very well-disguised. Look VERY carefully, inspecting each wire. I polished it all up and it looked great! Then I went out and totalled it. :(

Back