help please

camviperride

Please help me. Last week I pulled the motor out of my viper because it broke the bolts on the motor mount. Had to pull the motor to drill and easy out the rest of the bolts. Got that all fixed and put the motor back in. While my carbs were out I cleaned them again...2nd time this year. I adjusted the screw on bottom of carbs to about 2 1/8 turns because I was having a idle hang issue. took care of that. Running on stand fine...no issues. Finnally got some snow and last night took it out and got 2 miles from my house and the thing just quite with no warning. It didn't feel like a motor/carb problem...more like it lost all electrical power. Couldn't get it started up. Got it hame and pulled it over and fired right up. I put die electric grease in all the plugs I disturbed when pulling the motor and it seemed to run good. So this morning went back out and got about 1 mile from the house and died again. this time after about 5 minutes i was able to fire it up and get her home...but was lacking a little power. When I got home, ryed starting it and all it does is pop and barely run then dies. I don't know what the hell is goin on. I am sure I missed something but not sure what. I checked the harness over while motor was out and it looked great...and now has all, new tape and anyways I think it would take more than a couple miles to wear back through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmmm... check to make sure your stator is tight, and the stator pick up is tight as well.... i had the EXACT same issue when I put my viper motor in, and the stator pick up was loose, and causing the issues.

alright guys, I pulled the harness and took all the covering from the speedo down to the where it branches off by the coolant resevoir, no rub throughs, every thing looks good, retaped up. the pulled the cdi box and checked the wires there, nothing rubbed through either. pulled the handlebar pad and found nothing there. I did not pull the stator or recoil when I pulled the motor so I don't beleive it could be the pickup. Any ways I checked the whites against eachother and they all are at about .40 ohms. The pickup coil is at 200 ohms so that is all good. Any other things to check?

Well I found the problem guys, Found an oil line that came apart and the I checked compression and found that 1 cyl was about 60 psi and the other 2 were 90 and 115, Well pulled the cyl.'s and 2 pistons are real scored now Dammit. well at least we found it before did any worse. Anyways I will be looking for some pistons and rings, pins and bearings. I will bring the cyl's down to get honed at the local shop. Thanks for the help guys... I figured it was electrical ...guess I was wrong\!!!

Back