cornering help

super1c

Super Moderator
cornering help (added more info.)

I'm having big problems with my 04 viper s in the corners. No push but i cant keep the backend behind me. It wants to fishtale big time so i have to come out of the turn to catch it. Sled runs straight as an arrow at any speed, no darting or tailing. Just in the corners. Also i have no hook up, track spins from take off big time. Im thinking 2 much ski pressure? Im running 7 clicks out on the ft ohlins. About a inch bolt on the limiters straps, everything else stock. I weigh 200 with gear, running 144 down the middle and 8" carbides up front. I know you will probably need more info so i will start here. Any help would be great. Read a lot in the search but couldnt find exactly what im having trouble with. Thanks guys. PS almost feels like im riding on a rocking chair if you know what i mean. Middle of the sled more on the ground then the front and back.

Last edited:

super1c said:
I'm having big problems with my 04 viper s in the corners.
No push but i cant keep the backend behind me. It wants to fishtale big time so i have to come out of the turn to catch it. Sled runs straight as an arrow at any speed, no darting or tailing. Just in the corners.
Also i have no hook up, track spins from take off big time.
Im thinking 2 much ski pressure? Im running 7 clicks out on the ft ohlins. About a inch bolt on the limiters straps, everything else stock. I weigh 200 with gear, running 144 down the middle and 8" carbides up front. I know you will probably need more info so i will start here. Any help would be great. Read a lot in the search but couldnt find exactly what im having trouble with. Thanks guys. PS almost feels like im riding on a rocking chair if you know what i mean. Middle of the sled more on the ground then the front and back.
Interesting. My 04 Viper S had a lot of ski lift and not enough *** end kick out. Also I had excellent take off traction with the stock 1.25 Ripsaw. Are you still running the stock 1.25 Ripsaw? Is it modded with CPR pipes and making 160 hp?

Last edited:
loosen up the transfer rods, and let out the limiter to 10MM of threads. Go from there. On our Viper, I have the springs set in the middle positions for both center and back. I had to tighten up the front ski springs for more ski pressure, 6" shapers stock ski's. Extremly good take off on snow. NO studs in the 1.25 ripsaw. Al

good ideas to start with, spring, limiter straps, traction rods. i wouldnt do it all at once though, start checking how far from stock any of them are. i set my straps when the sled is sitting on the ground so the seuspension is close to what it is when you are riding, and just draw them up tight so there is no slack in them. with it that way it does pretty good on my srx. and the longer your traction bars are the more weight transfer you have and hook up more.

unchained said:
Interesting. My 04 Viper S had a lot of ski lift and not enough *** end kick out. Also I had excellent take off traction with the stock 1.25 Ripsaw. Are you still running the stock 1.25 Ripsaw? Is it modded with CPR pipes and making 160 hp?

Stock ripsaw with the 144 down the middle. Yes on the CPR's with heavy hitter clutch and v force reeds. engine seems perfect. Shift at 9100. Only problem is i hit 9100 in 2 secs flat from take off as i have no hook upl LOL. Not a racer just aggresive trail rider. Would any of this make a diff in my changes!!

Finnaly got the sled thawed out from the ride yesterday. Here is exactly what i got. Front dampining set to 7 clicks out from max.
front preload spring at about 175MM (Which is at the min. for hardest)

center preload set at 1 ( stock softer)

rear preload at 4 (stock Middle)
rear dampening set at B ( medium stock)

Here is what threw me ? Control rods set at position 1 which is most weight transfer. ( stock position 3) When i sit on it the gap is all at the bottom.

Limiter straps at 25cm (stock).

I know everyone, sled, situation is different. Just need idea on how to get a little better hook up in rear on corners and take off. Just start where alswag said?? Thanks a ton guys!!!

I believe you want a larger gap on top of the transfer rods, as it sets now, w/ no/little gap on the top, then you are coupling your suspension right away, and taking away from the weight transfer. You should do a search for suspension set ups, the one that comes to mind is one by BetheViper. He goes pretty in depth w/ establishing a starting point for being able to set up YOUR PERSONAL sled, as one person's measurements might not work for yours/or the next person's sled. But I would definately loosen you limiter straps, w/ less thread showing than it is now to take some pressure off of the ski's. If you are able to put more of a gap on the top of the transfer rods, it will allow more weight transfer to the rear of the skid, but you will be giving up on the cornering ability, can't have the best of both worlds only a happy medium.

Also does your track set flat on the ground w/ no weight on it? Or is the backend in the air? Thus concentrating all the weight on the front of the skid, making it a pivot point, and not putting the whole skid to the gound.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Loosen the tranfer rods completly, let out the front limiter to 10 MM When no weight on the sled, on ours anyway, the rear of the skid is off the ground 1" on SXR and 1.5" on Viper 136" track. we both have about 2" of "set in" this is how much the suspension compresses while sitting on it. I have 144 studs also but are split between center and outside. I run a V pattern in the center and everyother lug on the outside. 1" ripsaw with 1.125 studs Al

super1c said:
Stock ripsaw with the 144 down the middle. Yes on the CPR's with heavy hitter clutch and v force reeds. engine seems perfect. Shift at 9100. Only problem is i hit 9100 in 2 secs flat from take off as i have no hook upl LOL. Not a racer just aggresive trail rider.
Would any of this make a diff in my changes!!

Changes? 125 compared to a 150+ hp is a huge diff in power. Just wondering because what your describing is the exact opposite of how my stock 04 Viper S handled. Good Luck...

Well i got if figured out!!!! Let out the limiters to about 12mm and now i get a perfect 50/50 gap with me and my gear on the sled. I wouldnt think a little change like that would make such a big change. So if i find i have too much transfer now should i move up the limiters or tighten up the transfer rods (rods are at max transfer, postion #1 on adjustable rods)? Everything else stock. Front is set stiff also.

Back