bad gas mileage

vipamatic

2003 sxviper mountain bad gas mileage

i have an 2003 sx viper mountain with slp triple pipes, vforce 3 reed valves. i have 600 miles on a new rebuildt engine. i am only getting about 5mpgs. :o| what are others with this sled getting. any ideas to get better mileage?? :dunno:

Last edited:

Running trippels take alot of fuel,I get prob. 8-9 mpg depending on snow conditions and just how hard you are running it.If you are mostly ditchbanging 5mpg is prob. pretty close to what i would get.

I have an '02 Viper, 136" Hartman extension, SLP pipes, 8 tooth drivers w/ stock gearing. I ride trails as fast as i can keep up w/ those ahead of me, but I have like 268 1.340" rodin studs in my track, so turning can be a bear sometimes. I average apprx. 8.5-9.5mpg. I have it clutched to keep the rpms under 9000 rpms. And I have exactly 610miles on the complete engine rebuild this year,including a brand new welded crank, pistons/rings etc...

I average 11 with my SRX and I hammer it!! A buddy of mine had a CPR triple piped Viper S and he got about 5-7 depending on conditions.

Last edited:
with your stock pipe and can on you would get better mileage i get 11-12 with the stock setup no matter how much i bar it. That being said the extra ponys might be worth the extra gas $

I ride mostly trails and get average 10 MPG. the deeper the powder and the more ditch banging you do, the more fuel you will use per mile. I don't think 5 is bad for a boondocker at all.

Though I havent done it I have heard of guy's with the triple pipes on the viper vent there carbs to the atmosphere instead of the air box, This richens the circuits, You would still have to tune it in, But They dont use so much fuel.

i found a guy that said he would trade me his stock pipe, can, and manifold. he averaged about 10-11 mpg. i think its a good deal what do you guys think?? :rockon:

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. I still think you will get 5-7 if you are running in deep powder. The stock exhaust is the favorite of many on the site, so it's up to you.

does the carb switch matter that much, i had my sled running around on the lake yesterday and i turned my carb warmer switch off and i seemed to be going through more gas than usual, it could also be because i was doing alot of messing around trompsin on the throttle but still seemed to consume alot of gas for the mileage the track put on......didnt mean to jack the post at all just maybe the carb heater switch has something to do with it as welll?????

Last edited:
vipamatic said:
ya its off trail im from iowa..... ditchbanger... why

Off trail your doing all right; can't expect any better. Not really too much better on trail, either.

vipamatic said:
i found a guy that said he would trade me his stock pipe, can, and manifold. he averaged about 10-11 mpg. i think its a good deal what do you guys think?? :rockon:

Do this this and a few things will happen.....

1. You will be pissed you did it, in spite of saving a little is fuel costs.

2. The other guy will laugh all the way to the bank.

Seriously, the Viper needs triple pipes. They really help make the sled more fun/improve performance. IMO, not worth thinking about. But your triples are worth a heckuva lot more than the oem set up.

Your better off to sell your triples if you don't like them and buy a used oem exhaust set up. Or else make your friend give you some extra cash in the deal.

But if i were you I'd just deal with a little worse mileage. The tank on the Viper is huge.

Mike

Back