SRX only pulling 7500 RPMS

mcavoy2011

SRX only pulling 7500 RPMS W/ CLEAN power valves

Alright guys my 98 SRX has a few problems. I have been setting it up to race 1000 foot radar runs and having some troubles. I just did the rings in the motor and the two outside cylenders have 135 pounds of compression while the center one only has 125. I realise that your alowed 10% difference but the center cylender is burnign very very rich while the outside two are running perfect and is jetted to stock with a cold air kit. the power valves are all good, clean and adjusted to spec, Im at a loss boys. What do you think?

Last edited:

they are each one over stock for the cold air kit, cant remember the exact numbers. I do not have a spare set of coils but if i checked them all and there all firing good could it still be them?

TRY STAGERING YOUR JETTING SLIGHTLY IN THAT CENTER CYLINDER. THE COMPRESSION SHOULD COME UP IN THAT LOWER JUG AFTER RINGS SEAT. HOWS TOP OF PISTON LOOK IN THAT CENTER, CAN YA POST PICTURE ?. FOOD FOR THOUGHT ALSO IS HOW IS PLUG CAP ON THAT CENTER WIRE. SMALL STUFF COULD ADD UP. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I was thinking that maybe i did not get the carbon cleaned out of the rings on that cylender or somhing. Although how much would it drop my compression with a ring stuck. Gap is good on the plugs and pistons, heads all look in good shape. I dont have pictures at moment but i suppose i could get some later. I am at college right now, Might have to haul it apart on the back of the truck in the parking lot. Gotta love 2 degree motor jobs :)

ahh good catch sgauthier I will be sure to check both agian. and yea i used new rings on all cylenders. Im just at a loss.

Just pulled it apart awhile ago and both rings in the center cylender are stuck... i would say i didnt get all the carbon composites cleaned out of the ring grooves before putting it back together. Gonna check the carbs again before i put it back together. either way thanks for the help guys. will post back once its put back together.

I had the problem that mine would rev or 8000 rpm and it was the connection in the servo for the power valves. the plug was corroded so i cleaned it up and it works perfect now.

Back