Help with buying 99 SRX

Donkey1

With all the Knowledge here can someone give me some advise, I am looking at buying a 99 SRX, the owner says everything is solid except that it needs a stator, siad he had it troubleshot down to this, says it has weak spark and the coil packs check good. Any experience with this? Compression is around 125psi across the board. I thought you would either have spark or no spark?? any help is appreciated.

well... you can always tell him... you will pay what ever the stator costed him... or give him a few extra buck to replace the stator.. and if it cured it... buy it... if not... well his loss since he told you it was just the stator.... the stator can cause a weak spark.... but it could also be a few different things... offer him 100 bucks more if he gets it running with a good spark and everything good to go...sold....

Ride.Race.Live said:
well... you can always tell him... you will pay what ever the stator costed him... or give him a few extra buck to replace the stator.. and if it cured it... buy it... if not... well his loss since he told you it was just the stator.... the stator can cause a weak spark.... but it could also be a few different things... offer him 100 bucks more if he gets it running with a good spark and everything good to go...sold....

Yep what he said..

Actually what I would like to do is offer him a lot less and replace the stator myself, I just wanted to know if the stator sounds like that would be the problem? what else is the in that system besides coil packs and stator? so a bad stator can cause weak spark?

yea... it could be multiple things... coilpack stator... rub through in wire... sparkplug boots... ext.... if you can get him down low enough then do it... but if he only budges 100 bucks or so... dont take the chance... looking into some good work time if it gots a rub through somewhere... though it doesnt hurt to look over the whole machine after purchasing it... depends what your willing to do... a weak spark isnt a uncomon thing as multiple things can effect it and its not usualy a too expensive fix... just takes your time to find the root cause most of the time

He was asking 1600 for it and I offered him 1150 then he came back with 1400 and I told him my max is 1250, so what do you guys think 1250 be a decent deal, the rest of the sled is in great shape just has the low spark problem.

Back