removing drive axel

progold

bearing let go on chaicase side and am trying to get drive axel out but can`t get bearing off clutch side took the set screws out but still cant get bearing of clutch side any info would be greatly appreciated 2002 sx viper. :o|

drive axel

progold said:
bearing let go on chaicase side and am trying to get drive axel out but can`t get bearing off clutch side took the set screws out but still cant get bearing of clutch side any info would be greatly appreciated 2002 sx viper. :o|
need help asap!!!!!!!!

drive axel

progold said:
need help asap!!!!!!!!

drive axel

progold said:
need help asap!!!!!!!!

took off the four bolts that hold the plate over the bearing and all that was reamaining were four studs ,took out set screws on the sleeve over the shaft but still cant budge it and did not see any rivets unless you are refering to the ones in behind the studs,also see prestone dripping on the floor had to ride the sled about tewnty miles to grt back to my truck,hope i didn`t dammage it to bad .

The collar on the bearing is probably an offset locking collar. Which means it needs to be rotated a little to unlock from the axle. loosen or remove the allen screw, then using a long punch placed in the drilled dimple in the collar(not the one the screw came from) tap the punch to rotate it a little. this should release it. I will try to find a few pics and post them.

^^

Antifeeeze leaking aint kool, if its studded you may have hit the front heat exchanger. Might as well pull the skid out, then drop out the drive axle then youll have a clearer picture of damage and if you need to weld it up you'll have plenty of room. Do yourself a favor PULL IT OUT ie..skid,drive track...You mut remove the plate that sandwiches the bearing below the secondary clutch. I use a dremel with cutoff wheel to grind the heads of the rivets off unless someone else has already done some work to it before you then they may not be in there anymore becasue you dont need to re-install the rivets.

Here is a pic. notice how the collar is thinner at the red arrow then it is at the green arrow. The black collar is similar and when it is rotated, it locks itself to the drive axle.

Attachments

• axle offset.jpg
    axle offset.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 4
Hey guy`s thanks for the info and the pics i will get back at er tomorow and will keep you posted of my progress ,again thank`s for the info.

PROGOLD.

JM.02c

The jackshaft[secondary clutch rides on] most times has the offset collar type bearing.

My SRX does not have the locking collar type bearing on the drive shaft PTO side. If yours is the same as mine, and the bearing will not slide off the drive shaft once you have the set screws out its probably because the bearing has spun on the axle and seized to it.

There are a couple things you can try:

1/-drop the suspension, ensure the set screws are removed, keep the speedo drive bolted on initially and then bang on the track drivers with a rubber mallet or block of wood, first bang one way then the other. Don't bang any distance towards the speedo side, the idea is to break it loose and get it moving slightly only. Then remove the speedo drive and bang the axle out towards the chain case side. If the axle refuses to start to move, get a torch and carefully heat the heck out of the bearing race then try again. This should do the trick...it may take a lot of heat so be patient.

2/-if the first step fails[ I hate to say it]...get the saws all out and cut the axle off between the track drive + bearing. Obviously you will need to buy a new axle for this step and then remove your drives + install on the new axle. [ I hope you don't have to go this far, but I have had to do this in the past]

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back