srx suspension questions PART 2

golmax

Hello everyone. I got my sled all put together and have more pictures for you to review.

If you dont remember part 1 of this post. Im trying to figure out if the rear suspension is normal sitting up a few inches in the rear? Also why is it that way and if i can make it flat would it perform better?

All shocks are adjusted to the factory Spec (STANDARD) right out of my manual. I figured that would be a good place to start. Just so you all know there is not long travel kit on this suspension it is completly stock except for the track extension and the transfer rods.

Front springs: measured from the center of bolt to begining of spring
HARD 101.5MM STANDARD 84MM SOFT 80MM

Rear suspension front spring: measured from the center of bolt to begining of spring
HARD 105.8MM STANDARD 95.8MM SOFT 85.8MM

Rear suspension rear spring: measured from the center of bolt to begining of spring
HARD 108.3MM STANDARD 98.3MM SOFT 88.3MM

My front limiter straps are set at the factory maximum of 35mm

Please post your knowledge on this matter im sure everyone with a srx has asked themselves these questions before unless mine is broke lol

Thankyou much, Golmax

Attachments

• DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 13

Hey,
My 01 Srx with Viper suspention sits like that in the back....
i dont know if it is supposed to sit like that but i still ride it and it hasnt broke yet..
Does'nt the suspension go down and the track will then touch, when you apply weight to it? (sitting on it)

my sxr was flat till i put the viper skis on it. then the back came up like yours. from what mr sled has told me you have to suck up the front limiter straps till it sits flat. some one else posted in your other one to put 4x4 peice of wood under the front of the skid to make it easyer to adjust.

I was told that you could damage your suspension if you go more than 35mm on the straps. Not sure if thats correct tho.

I'm taking my 99 SRX to 136 with 1" Camo this weekend. Maxperf tunnel ext and tracks rail ext; stock front and rear shocks. I have viper skis on front now and they have dropped the front end already. I fully expect my skid to sit like yours when I'm done. My plan to correct this is to flip over the top mount of the front shocks to raise the front end 1", then suck up the front limiters to fine tune. Should finish this weekend. wkup. Dave

dave i was out in the yard the other day when we got that little snow and couldnt believe the difference clean powervalves that are actually hooked up now make a difference. that 136 ripsaw had my sled standing up on the rear wheels

Sweet! I can see why your skis are in the air with the ripsaw and the rear of the suspension so high...looks like you're geting plenty of rock back. My SRX doesnt trnsfr weight too good now so I'm looking forward to a little a little more traction and ski lift, as long as its still manageble on the trail. Hopefully I can find a happy medium by flipping the front shock brackets and adjusting limiter strap. Dave

yea im thinking about fliping those brackets around or getting the adjustable mounts from hauks

hey guys i got a 2000 srx with a sxr suspension had the same problem you are having
i turned the front shock mount upside down and put on the opposite side and also pulled the limiter straps almost allthe way up and it sits flat

im just curious why yamaha would set a sled up like this. what is there theory. there has to be a reason all standard proaction suspensions sit up in the back without mods

that is correct on your suspension...I have pulled the limiters to get the track flatter...even had to drill another hole in the strap to get them closer to what I wanted....or get some adjustable shock bkts from Maxx Perf.

well I guess the first thing i need to do is ride it for a few miles first and see if its even a problem.

Does pulling those straps that far create any down falls like easy bottoming out or rough ride quality. Would there be less down falls if any to getting the shock brackets like any sort of steering issues?

it will want to transfer weight better and take the moguls better the way youhave it....pull the limiters will increase the ski pressure but make the handling sharper but lesson the ride quality.

here is my two cents. where the suspension ends up when you are off it matters not other than some slide wear.

if the sled sits with the suspension up in the back with you one it then you need to decrease the front track spring preasure. you are trying to make the sled sit flat with the tranfer rod gaps centered. if you just pull up limiters you are increasing load on the center of that fragile w arm. loosen spring preload first. another way to tell whats going on is that when you sit on the sled your front end should not raise up. this gives a good balance for trail riding.

I guess you didn't get the point on my last post. The way your sled comes from the factory, it's nothing but a teeter totter. When you extend the back from the fulcrum (the front of the slide rail right at the end of the curve in the rail) The tail is just gonna go higher. To make it sit the way it did before you have to change the angle of attack of the whole sled. You can raise the front as someone mentioned which will lower the rear but will also raise the CG of the sled. If you want the same handling though, you need to pull the fulcrum up. The only way to do that without sacrificing the front of your suspension is to adjust the limiters with no center shock pre load and then adjust the pre load. The only problem is you are losing travel on the center shock. The cenetr shock was too long before you extended the sled and this will make things worse. What you need is a shorter shock with stiffer valving to prevent bottoming and damaging the W arm.

Its not that i didnt understand your first post. I just value everyones opinion here and would like to hear a few different options. The reason i continued to post on this subject is because in my first post some poeple wanted a few more pictures to review before they made there comments and at the time i took the sled apart right after my first post so i couldnt provide any more of the desired pictures.

I do appreciate everyone's opinion here and thankyou all for posting your opinions.

If its suposed to be like that from the factory then ill probally just leave it as long as it hooks up well.

if the centre sway adjuster is on soft the back sits higher if i remenber right or it could be the hard setting try that and mabie think of lifting the front end up with the spring preload. the centre shock i find myself is better with lots of strap out increasing shock travel the little there is to work with. good luck still looks cool tho

Back