Grip Warmers not hot anymore

early 175 watt ign systems fed the warmers right from the voltage regulator, the later 300 watt systems ran a seperate circuit from the cdi.

Ah I see, just out of curiosity will a 300 W stator work on my sled. If not what mods need to be done. I would really like to have 2 60/55 headlights.

I am gonna say yes, the stator will work on the case, but youll need the newer 300 watt wiring harness complete with cdi,etc. and the warmers have seperate rheostats for the grips and thumb instead of 1 like the older units. I know for sure that betheviper-scott here knows the differance on the stator and flywheels for the sx engine/mtn max. I recall them being the same but double check my information, its been too long ago for my old fading brain to be 100%.

double check with scott, hes the guru swapper!

The 06 apex grips has a TSB or recall on them and they were updated. 06 had problems with the grips not getting hot enough, your electrical is fine

I believe they replaced all grips/warmers with the updated ones. As far as I know, they didn't have anymore issues in 2007. Best to call Yamaha or dealer for the exact on that.

I know for fact that lot of people were pissed off about the grips not getting hot in 2006

I would hate to see you buy a new stator and it be something simple as the grips are bad.

Only way to tell a stator is bad on the old SX's, is if you pull off the trail, shut your sled off for a break and your sled will not start and has no spark.

I have even heard of bad stators that will check out perfectly fine with a multimeter

nice suggestion Tomseal6 but you missed reading that it was doing the same thing with his original grips before switching to the apex grips. You cant run 2 headlights off the 175 watt stator, the way the grips are powered is right off the voltage regualtor and the 300watt systems use a seperate circuit fed from the cdi. Theres a reason why they use a 300watt stator for 2 headlight bulbs. He is simply overdrawing the system with a 175 watt stator and using the dual bulb headlights along with the way the grips are fed on the old wiring system.

Your right, this guy has a mess on his hands I was not aware of and I would not want to be involved with.

I would put the original single headlight in it and run it the way it was designed.

i have been having some similar issues on an 01 mtn max. ran tests on every item as per the service manual and found one item not to spec. its a coil located above the left foot well. it tested about 1500-2000 short of spec. i have yet to replace this, its next on the list. requires a special tester that reads in microferads?. i took mine to an electric motor rebuilder for testing. may be something to look at if it applies to your sled. i ran a troubleshooting test as per the manual and that was the only part not to spec.
have you replaced this part yet? did it fix your problem.

Back